Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
gearhead

Ruidoso, NM??

Thinking about next summer. Wanting to escape Houston heat and humidity. Last summer we spent a month near Durango Colorado. It was OK but had a few negatives. So, looking at historic temps for Ruidoso, it's appealing, with a shorter drive from the Houston area. Looking on campgroundreviews.com there are a handful of possible RV parks. It does seem the RV parks are on the main highway or out in the boondocks.
If anyone has a favorite campground I would appreciate a recommendation. My next target spot is Chama, NM. If anyone has a cool summer place I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance.....Brent
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
German Shepherd Guy

We stayed at the River Ranch. It was on the river. Lots of trees, dog friendly. Was OK, nothing special but quiet and cool.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
E Rod

I always stay at Along the River in Ruidoso. Beautiful place with a stream running right through it. Clean rest rooms with showers along with a playground for kids. About 3to 4 miles away from the main town yet not to far. I stayed in several other rv parks there but this one is my favorite. Donna, Melissa, Dylan and Matt are very nice people. Tell them Enrique sent you ��

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Brent what are you looking for as far as temps, amenities etc.? Ruidoso is a "tourist" trap mostly. Been going there all my life. The Rio Ruidoso "river" can be a stream or a trickle. Elevation I believe is around 7500? and can get quite warm in summer (80+). I understand the "negatives" in Durango...we won't go there anymore - should have went back to Pagosa!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brent what are you looking for as far as temps, amenities etc.? Ruidoso is a "tourist" trap mostly. Been going there all my life. The Rio Ruidoso "river" can be a stream or a trickle. Elevation I believe is around 7500? and can get quite warm in summer (80+). I understand the "negatives" in Durango...we won't go there anymore - should have went back to Pagosa!
I'm looking for some cool temps and some greenery. The more I look at Ruidoso the less I like it. Looks dusty and gritty.
Chama, or Pagosa, is looking better. Maybe Creede.
Dang I don't want to drive to Minnesota.
Did you ever stay at Sportsmens up north of Pagosa? I've never taken a RV there. Used to take an occasional shower there when elk hunting.
You have a suggestion for a Pagosa RV park?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 09-14-2021, 07:08 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Have you looked into the Red River/Questa NM area? Another area I used to really like is in the Stonewall/Monument Lake area west of Trinidad, CO. Might look into those and see if there's anything in those that interest you. Ruidoso is just not our cup of tea anymore and that's the reason we bought a house outside Cloudcroft instead of Ruidoso (and our house in CC at 9000' was about 1500' higher than Ruidoso). The roads are very congested and people are just milling around everywhere....and in summer it's not very cool.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #7
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Have you looked into the Red River/Questa NM area? Another area I used to really like is in the Stonewall/Monument Lake area west of Trinidad, CO. Might look into those and see if there's anything in those that interest you. Ruidoso is just not our cup of tea anymore and that's the reason we bought a house outside Cloudcroft instead of Ruidoso (and our house in CC at 9000' was about 1500' higher than Ruidoso). The roads are very congested and people are just milling around everywhere....and in summer it's not very cool.
Thanks for the info. I have a cousin with a summer house in Red River and have looked there some. My sister has a house in Angel Fire but there is only 2 cookie cutter RV parks there.
I had forgotten about the area west of Trinidad. I'll get back on that and Cloudcroft.
Thanks
2023 CanAm Defender SXS