Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #101
skunked again

Sourdough - thank you! Very insightful. About the lease.
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #102
jasin1

You may decide you just LOVE that truck and then in 5 years you want to keep it and then it would be like having to pay for it again…it’s such a basic heavy duty truck that I could see a person easily growing attached to it…I’d bite the bullet and buy it vs leasing it…in 5 years you’d probably still get half or more for it
If you sell
Old 08-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #103
jasin1

And as far as the windows they will be powered…just say aloud “DW” (insert name) “please roll down the window”…and voila…it will go down automatically
Old 08-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #104
notanlines

Car and truck leases are generally for people/companies putting very few miles on a vehicle. They are also a red flag on tax returns similar to what home offices were years ago. Accountants have generally warned against both. Be very, very careful before entering into a lease arrangement.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #105
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Take it for what it’s worth: don’t look for an “adequate” TV for your current trailer. If we are all being honest, it starts out “that’s enough for us” and once the camping bug bites you’ll be looking at bigger. I started with 21 1/2 ft fiver in 1989, went to 27 1/2 feet in ‘96 then 32 feet in ‘97. Current trailer is 27 1/2 feet.

All this to say, you may never do what I or many others have done, but buying 1 truck is better than buying a newer/bigger trailer AND truck every time.
ANY reason for a new truck is a good one! If not for the chip mess I'd be ordering a 2022 F350 Dually now. Nothing wrong with my 2019 F350 dually,,, I just like new trucks.
1st TV was a Plymouth Fury III, 360 V8 and the 727 transmission. Big, heavy and could tow! Next was a 1/2 ton, then a 84 Ramcharger, 3/4, next 3/4 diesel, then a 1 ton diesel ~~ a few more. Now the dually and not the 1st. Certainly all were not needed, just like new trucks.
Always great to see someone come with the question and use the information provided. Too often they come and only hope to be told they will be fine, knowing or nearly certsin they are not.
Montana sitting in full sun, temp outside down to 93 outside. Inside all but 1 blind down. Steady inside temp 71 and 45 RH. Comfy.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #106
skunked again

Jasin1 - I read your posts to my DW, she looked at me and smiled!!!
Leasing doesn't sound like it's for us. Thanks for the information!!
Old 08-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #107
4everyoung

Bigger is better

A Ford diesel 1 ton 4 w/d. It will go anywhere and pull almost everything.
4everyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #108
notanlines

Especially jacked, chipped and equipped with a center bed 6” exhaust! Excuse me, but I seem to have something in my mouth….oh, it’s my foot!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #109
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
Jasin1 - I read your posts to my DW, she looked at me and smiled!!!
Leasing doesn't sound like it's for us. Thanks for the information!!
Your welcome…good luck
Old 08-06-2021, 08:29 PM   #110
skunked again

We went to the dealer in the link, and test drove the truck in the link on previous page. In case it sells, its a 2021 ram 3500, regular cab, 4x4, crank windows, manual mirrors, 6.4liter, 8' bed. It was nice. Forget what the door sticker said for payload.
We then test drove a ram 2500, quad cab, 4x4, power windows, power mirrors, 6.4liter, 8' bed. It drove nice as well. Door sticker said 2925 payload, for those curious.
Both trucks are the tradesman, both brand new, less than 50 miles combined.
They had a couple F250's, however, they where diesel's. I can't justify the extra money. Thus, didn't test drive them.
Liked the quad cab, sat down to talk numbers, they looked at the frontier.
The game began. I absolutely hate this game.
Unfortunately, this dealer currently has a $3000 covid upcharge. They also didn't offer much for our trade. I asked is something wrong with the frontier? They said no, it's fine, this is all we can do.
I wonder why salespeople even ask - What will it take to get you in this vehicle today? When we've never had one do it on the first try. Anyway, we said our number, she said I doubt it (at least she was honest), went to her boss was gone awhile (had a cup of coffee??) came back, nope - not even close. Tried the ploy of "these trucks aren't lasting long, couple day's tops." I kept quiet, could feel my pressure rising, as I'd been looking at both of them all week online. We said our same number again, more waiting, they moved some. I said that's better. Then I noticed they extended the note by a year. No thank You.
We left.

I'm helping a friend pour concrete tomorrow morning (which will be more enjoyable than truck shopping!!), might go to the local ram dealer tomorrow, talk with them. Will also go to chevy and ford, let them know what we're looking for.
Sorry about the rant.

On a lighter note, we took the camper out last night, had our first full hook up sight. Our first trip was electric only, second trip was electric and water. Didn't plan it that way, just how it happened.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:03 AM   #111
jasin1

Quote:
We went to the dealer in the link, and test drove the truck in the link on previous page. In case it sells, its a 2021 ram 3500, regular cab, 4x4, crank windows, manual mirrors, 6.4liter, 8' bed. It was nice. Forget what the door sticker said for payload.
We then test drove a ram 2500, quad cab, 4x4, power windows, power mirrors, 6.4liter, 8' bed. It drove nice as well. Door sticker said 2925 payload, for those curious.
Both trucks are the tradesman, both brand new, less than 50 miles combined.
They had a couple F250's, however, they where diesel's. I can't justify the extra money. Thus, didn't test drive them.
Liked the quad cab, sat down to talk numbers, they looked at the frontier.
The game began. I absolutely hate this game.
Unfortunately, this dealer currently has a $3000 covid upcharge. They also didn't offer much for our trade. I asked is something wrong with the frontier? They said no, it's fine, this is all we can do.
I wonder why salespeople even ask - What will it take to get you in this vehicle today? When we've never had one do it on the first try. Anyway, we said our number, she said I doubt it (at least she was honest), went to her boss was gone awhile (had a cup of coffee??) came back, nope - not even close. Tried the ploy of "these trucks aren't lasting long, couple day's tops." I kept quiet, could feel my pressure rising, as I'd been looking at both of them all week online. We said our same number again, more waiting, they moved some. I said that's better. Then I noticed they extended the note by a year. No thank You.
We left.

I'm helping a friend pour concrete tomorrow morning (which will be more enjoyable than truck shopping!!), might go to the local ram dealer tomorrow, talk with them. Will also go to chevy and ford, let them know what we're looking for.
Sorry about the rant.

On a lighter note, we took the camper out last night, had our first full hook up sight. Our first trip was electric only, second trip was electric and water. Didn't plan it that way, just how it happened.

This is a site I found while looking for Jeep’s with my daughter…I was a little skeptical but the website they mentioned actually was pretty accurate in my area..we got a quote from a dealer I wouldn’t have thought of looking at.
You could possibly use this info if they have a sister dealership that sells Ram trucks just to get an idea https://sites.google.com/view/wrangl...ome?authuser=0
Old 08-07-2021, 04:06 AM   #112
jasin1

This is the video where the website was shown…the guy is a fast talker and annoying but I got the website from it.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:05 AM   #113
Northofu1

Personally, take your time (even if it's a year from now) and don't rush into something you will regret financially. Although your TV isn't ideal, neither will a hefty payment on a vehicle your not happy with. I was in the same predicament 2 yrs ago. I waited and searched and finally got what I wanted. 0% financing and the the price was $7K more than I paid for my brand new 1/2 ton. They gave me a trade in price on a 2 yr old TV that I was really excited about also. The dealership couldn't believe how low I got the deal for my 1/2 ton. I chalk it up to patience, persistence, and the willingness to just leave the table.
Although they give you the spiel about what they are doing for you, and how someone else is going to walk in and pay more than your willing to give.
The manager wants to sell volume, at the end of the day they have quotas to fill. The more they sell the cheaper they get them from the manufacturer. The hit they take by selling a few trucks "at dealer cost" could be made up by one msrp sale after getting the manufacturer rebate.
Only you know what is good for you and your situation, if it feels good do it. If it doesn't, don't.
Good luck my friend

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:07 AM   #114
flybouy
Site Team

Good advice on being patient and resolute. I've walked out of more than one dealership. Here's what's worked for me ... I belong to a Federal credit union and if I want a car, boat or RV loan I'll get a blank check that's good up to xx amount of dollars. With that it's like dealing with cash. I know most folks don’t have that option but knowing your financing going in and having a bank set up BEFOREHAND can save you money. The dealers make money on "their financing". NEVER TALK MONTHLY PAYMENTS, only price.

Best case sell your truck privatly. If doing a trade in then I calculate what the "WHOLE DEAL" is worth to me. This is like good old fashion "horse trading". I'll go in and state my interest in a vehichle. I'll also state my intent to trade and what I'm willing to pay for the difference. That number must be all in on the road. You take my vehichle, I take yours and give you x dollars and drive away, period. I don’t care where you put what numbers where on the paper. The only number I care about is the lst number in the pile as that's what it's going to cost me. Of course I low ball a little bit for negotiating room.

I'm not rude but I'm not there to make a new freind, or hear a bunch of BS. I'm there to make a buisness transaction. PERIOD. When they start with the BS I ask them to work on the deal because if this doesn't work out I have 3 other dealers to visit today.

Next, the infamous "let me go talk to ..." When they pull that I tell them you got 10 minutes. If you come back after that I won't be here. I've left dealers and had them call me back begging me to come back in "to talk". I let them know I'll return to sign the deal at my terms only. Don’t waste my time trying to pressure me, won't work. I've made some deals that way and sometimes they never call back.

The biggest piece of advice I know is DON'T GET IN A HURRY" I've never seen that end well. Remember this, they aren't selling 4 leaf clovers. If buying used there are millions of them out there. New, not as many but still alot. Markets and values go up and down. Wait for the down time to spend your money.

Hope this helps and wish you well in your search.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #115
JDDilly

If you go to RAM.COM, there is a towing link. You can put in the VIN and get all the correct numbers. I upgraded truck about 2 years ago and used that as I found trucks at differently dealers. Not sue if Ford and GM have something like this, I only looked at RAM because of the Cummins, my preference.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #116
chuckster57
Site Team

"covid upcharge"????

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:47 AM   #117
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Good advice on being patient and resolute. I've walked out of more than one dealership. Here's what's worked for me ... I belong to a Federal credit union and if I want a car, boat or RV loan I'll get a blank check that's good up to xx amount of dollars. With that it's like dealing with cash. I know most folks don’t have that option but knowing your financing going in and having a bank set up BEFOREHAND can save you money. The dealers make money on "their financing". NEVER TALK MONTHLY PAYMENTS, only price.

Best case sell your truck privatly. If doing a trade in then I calculate what the "WHOLE DEAL" is worth to me. This is like good old fashion "horse trading". I'll go in and state my interest in a vehichle. I'll also state my intent to trade and what I'm willing to pay for the difference. That number must be all in on the road. You take my vehichle, I take yours and give you x dollars and drive away, period. I don’t care where you put what numbers where on the paper. The only number I care about is the lst number in the pile as that's what it's going to cost me. Of course I low ball a little bit for negotiating room.

I'm not rude but I'm not there to make a new freind, or hear a bunch of BS. I'm there to make a buisness transaction. PERIOD. When they start with the BS I ask them to work on the deal because if this doesn't work out I have 3 other dealers to visit today.

Next, the infamous "let me go talk to ..." When they pull that I tell them you got 10 minutes. If you come back after that I won't be here. I've left dealers and had them call me back begging me to come back in "to talk". I let them know I'll return to sign the deal at my terms only. Don’t waste my time trying to pressure me, won't work. I've made some deals that way and sometimes they never call back.

The biggest piece of advice I know is DON'T GET IN A HURRY" I've never seen that end well. Remember this, they aren't selling 4 leaf clovers. If buying used there are millions of them out there. New, not as many but still alot. Markets and values go up and down. Wait for the down time to spend your money.

Hope this helps and wish you well in your search.
Your right about this one…I’ve even walked out after a deal was negotiated and I was sitting in the finance dept signing paperwork….just got a bad feeling and asked for my keys to my trade..the manager met met me in the parking lot and intervened..took over the deal..it was late and I said I’d be back in the morning as I wanted to sleep on it..he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse so I went back in and signed and took my new vehicle.
The next day I called back and took my trade out of the deal and sold it privately…they were ok with that..signed a new contract..
…gotta a great deal
Flybouy we probably have the same credit union…definitely the way to go..some credit unions have a list of dealers in the area they work with regularly
Old 08-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #118
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Dilly, a long time member here once said they follow the 6-4-2 rule. An RV should be big enough for drinks for six, dinner for four, sleeps two!
I like that.
Fits our TT to a "Tee"
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #119
linux3

Quote:
Your thoughts? This one is seriously being considered.

https://www.holzhauerschryslerdodger...169425798f.htm
OK, rant time!
For many years while our kids were home we had pop ups. Pulled them with a collection of SUVs. Actually the first was a Camel pop up that I pulled with a Mustang.

Anyway, we have as you can see a very nice TT and a good tow vehicle.
AND they are paid for!

So many posters here assume that you need a bigger truck because you MIGHT buy a bigger RV. How many people other than posters here actually do that?

IMHO a 2500/3500 makes a very poor daily driver. Uncomfortable fuel hogs.

To spend on a bigger truck because of what you someday might do is silly. Or maybe because you have a bigger truck you think you need a bigger RV?

The OP has a nice TT and a poor TV. Buy a good 1500 set it up and enjoy. I would suggest Silverado or if you must an F150 but do it and get out there.

A few years down the road if you enjoy the whole RV thing and think you need something bigger then start thinking about something bigger.

Lastly, our style of travel is to wander. 10k miles or so with no real plan. The OP's TT will get into spots a land yacht dare not go. Where does the OP want to fish?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #120
Northofu1

I buy mine on time. Always 0%.
My trucks are GMC
P. S. I LOOOOVE my 2500 daily driver.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle