Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2021, 05:59 AM   #81
skunked again

flybuoy - thank you.

So you all know, the search is on for a proper tow vehicle. I showed her this thread, we talked.
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:02 AM   #82
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
flybuoy - thank you.

So you all know, the search is on for a proper tow vehicle. I showed her this thread, we talked.
That’s very good to hear!!

I’ll get the popcorn and drinks ready for when you ask Chevy, Ram, or Ford.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:04 AM   #83
skunked again

Well, since you mentioned it.... Just kidding!
Old 07-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #84
skunked again

Your thoughts? This one is seriously being considered.

https://www.holzhauerschryslerdodger...169425798f.htm

And no, chuckster57, not asking about brand preference !!

I will however, ask about cab configurations.
Numbers wise, I'm guessing this one is one of the best? Practility wise though?
We did look at used 3\4 ton quad cab, also a regular cab 3\4 ton today, that's all anybody had. The quad cab is, at the time, overkill. I like the long bed, then I could put the 8' plastic boat in it. At least most of it, need to measure the boat and the bed, to be sure.
The one in the link is the same price as the two used ones we looked at, both of which would need tires in a years time.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:33 PM   #85
jasin1

Quote:

We did look at used 3\4 ton quad cab, also a regular cab 3\4 ton today, that's all anybody had. The quad cab is, at the time, overkill. I like the long bed, then I could put the 8' plastic boat in it. At least most of it, need to measure the boat and the bed, to be sure.
The one in the link is the same price as the two used ones we looked at, both of which would need tires in a years time.
If you don’t need a quad cab then the new tradesman 3500 is a nice truck…I am a diesel guy but also have had a quite a few Hemis and they are good engines…I switched to a 8 ft bed this year and love it…have the dealer send you a pic of the payload yellow sticker on the inside of the driver door jam. Just for the heck of it….it’s a much more capable truck then you have and you will have a lot of room to grow if you want to.. once you start driving a full size truck you will love it…you can keep that truck for many many years if you take care of it

You could tow a fifth wheel with that if you decide to later…the possibility’s are wide open

You could get a nice leer cap or a hard tonneau cover and have lots of storage
Old 07-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #86
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
DW is Dear Wife.

Your opinion only... I think it means DISH WASHER.... please don't tell my missus I said that I have not yet healed from the last beating.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #87
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Now THAT is a serious consideration from the Frontier!!

Looking down the spec sheet for what I assume is that truck it says the payload is 4590....that's a lot and shows what bed length, cab size and bells and whistles can cost in payload. What it did not show, and I didn't see anywhere that they would let you download the sticker, is the rear axle ratio. Hopefully at least a 3.73 and I figure it will be with that payload.

Cab configuration is 100% user preference. Do you NEED or even WANT that extra space? I've had at least a super cab since 92 and it sort of grows on you but I drove a single cab starting in '59 and loved them. 8' bed will be handy for towing AND that boat you're talking about. Where we go in FL long bed pickups seemingly ALL have kayaks, canoes etc. in the back.....if they're not pulling some sort of fishing boat. My garage was built for a regular cab, long bed pickup.....then all the fancy cab configurations came about. Ended up giving up a long bed so I could have a crew cab.....and I won't change that....or, let me rephrase, SHE that always has the last say won't be changing that.

Oh, not to start a brand war but you "done good" on your selection...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:55 PM   #88
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Well, since you mentioned it.... Just kidding!

Please don't ask for gas vs diesel OR WORSE... which truck maker is best. Also, give flybouy a PM and get his phone number and tell your wife he is the towing expert for (pick your favorite brand of truck) and his officious sounding spiel will have her convinced that a dually is critical to the safety of your family and the entire world for that matter.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:56 PM   #89
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Now THAT is a serious consideration from the Frontier!!

Looking down the spec sheet for what I assume is that truck it says the payload is 4590....that's a lot and shows what bed length, cab size and bells and whistles can cost in payload. What it did not show, and I didn't see anywhere that they would let you download the sticker, is the rear axle ratio. Hopefully at least a 3.73 and I figure it will be with that payload.

Cab configuration is 100% user preference. Do you NEED or even WANT that extra space? I've had at least a super cab since 92 and it sort of grows on you but I drove a single cab starting in '59 and loved them. 8' bed will be handy for towing AND that boat you're talking about. Where we go in FL long bed pickups seemingly ALL have kayaks, canoes etc. in the back.....if they're not pulling some sort of fishing boat. My garage was built for a regular cab, long bed pickup.....then all the fancy cab configurations. Ended up giving up a long bed so I could have a crew cab.....and I won't change that....or, let me rephrase, SHE that always has the last say won't be changing that.

Oh, not to start a brand war but you "done good" on your selection...
I looked at the sticker and it was 3.73… I actually miss my old single cab..he will be happy with that for sure

Factory five year warranty beats any used warranty by a mile
Old 07-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #90
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Your opinion only... I think it means DISH WASHER.... please don't tell my missus I said that I have not yet healed from the last beating.
Youre living on the edge there buddy!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:27 PM   #91
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post

George.....man!! dish washer....DISH WASHER!???? Did you find the rollin pin and hide it? The golf club?

When the kids were growing up they always thought we had eyes in the back of our heads, then they grew up and left. Now, I swear "she" has those same eyes and there's only me to pester....and seems like her phone dings anytime I google a flashlight, or new truck, or anything else. And you put THAT into words?? Buddy I'm wishing you the best but hope you have good insurance; a good first aid kit or maybe......fleet of foot??!
Old 07-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #92
jasin1

Wiredgeorge frantically breaking all of the computer screens in the house as we speak …. “Nope hon! Nothing good on the forum today! …nothing to see..kinda boring actually..might lay off for a month or….hey is that a new dress? You look fabulous!

Honey my account was hacked!
Old 07-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #93
JRTJH
Site Team

I always had a regular cab pickup, then in 1975, came upon a new Dodge club cab (cab and a half with jump seats in the back) with an 8' bed, so I traded my '72 Dodge 2500 regular cab for the club cab. It fit all our needs except it wasn't a regular cab. I bought it, drove it for about 3 or 4 years and it "never really felt right", so I traded it for a new regular cab Ford. The new Ford "felt right, but dang, all that extra room was missing... But I had my regular cab again and I was happy.

Regular cabs do have a special place in my heart, but they just aren't as convenient as bigger cabs. To be honest, the crew cab we have now has a "luxurious back seat" that only gets used to haul groceries, so do I really need a crew cab ??? Like Danny, DW has already made that decision and I've been instructed to say "YES DEAR" any time the question of cab size comes up in conversation.

That RAM looks like quite a capable truck, I think you'll enjoy towing with that when compared to the Frontier. But the sticker price is $41,215 and the "special sales price" is $44,215.... That's going the wrong direction, eh ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:03 AM   #94
skunked again

Oh boy, I'll stick with the first response for "dw" !

Want/need the crew cab? As we speak, regular cab is fine. Down the road? Pun intended. Good question. We would both prefer an extended cab. Ram doesn't have that as an option, for 3/4 or 1 ton. I haven't checked the other two.

We talked to a Ford dealership, for there new ones, they are tacking on a $5000 upcharge, there was no mention of that on there website, or I never would have stopped there. When he said that, I said goodbye.

The ram dealer we talked to, said no.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:18 AM   #95
RickV

Quote:
Oh boy, I'll stick with the first response for "dw" !

Want/need the crew cab? As we speak, regular cab is fine. Down the road? Pun intended. Good question. We would both prefer an extended cab. Ram doesn't have that as an option, for 3/4 or 1 ton. I haven't checked the other two.

We talked to a Ford dealership, for there new ones, they are tacking on a $5000 upcharge, there was no mention of that on there website, or I never would have stopped there. When he said that, I said goodbye.

The ram dealer we talked to, said no.
Don't know where you live but, there is a volume Ford dealer in Chattanooga, Tn that will deal with you. I drove 6.5 hours and saved $5000 the local Ford Dealers would not come off the sticker price. This was back in January before the "Great Chip Shortage" the Dealer was Mountain View.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #96
GunnerRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Don't know where you live but, there is a volume Ford dealer in Chattanooga, Tn that will deal with you. I drove 6.5 hours and saved $5000 the local Ford Dealers would not come off the sticker price. This was back in January before the "Great Chip Shortage" the Dealer was Mountain View.
Skunked - following on what Rick stated, the number one Ford volume dealer in the country is Brandon Ford, in Brandon FL, just east of Tampa. They have a great website and the price you see is the price you will pay. No BS no haggling. I bought my new 2019 F-250 XLT FX4 there in February 2020 and would expect you could find a 2020 that meets your requirements.

BTW, the reason for the new F-250 is when we upgraded in 2019 to the Outback 312BH I discovered by reading on this Forum and doing everything stated here that my previous 2002 F-250 Lariat 5.4L was right on the edge. NEW TRUCK. And she is set up for the next upgrade "The 5ver"!
GunnerRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #97
fchampneys

Buy for the future

As you can see, “adequate” and “might be enough” are words of caution. I now tow a 43’ 3-axle 5th wheel with a 1-ton diesel powered crew cab with no limitations. Wish I’d started with this TV in the beginning, rather than graduating up from a 1/2 ton. Spend your money one time. You will be happy you did, and you won’t have to look back and say, “woulda, coulda, shoulda”.
2019 Honda Talon 1000X
fchampneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #98
skunked again

Thank you both !
I contacted the dealer with the new reg cab, in the link above, they are going to call us tomorrow night.
Wife missed it on the pictures. I asked her if she's ok with manual windows? She said What? They still make those? I said look at the pics again! Sure enough.
Why do 3\4 and 1 tons not come with a brake controller??? Shouldn't that be standard equipment? I didn't see it in the specs, or in the pics.

Anyone versed on leases? Never done one.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #99
ssthrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaney View Post
My friend owns the feed mill I use. I have been on those scales a number of times. They are commercial certified scales. All my numbers match. I am satisfied with the accuracy of my weights as measured on a certified scale. I appreciate your opinion but I trust Brian’s certified scales over your opinion.
Then why ask the question here? I have a feeling that you will learn the hard way. IMO, you are going backwards. I would stick with the ¾ ton, but that's just me.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
ssthrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #100
sourdough
Site Team

Manual windows shouldn't be an issue with a regular cab - had them for decades. Now if it was a crew cab they become more important - plus, you get a BACKUP CAMERA!!!

The truck doesn't have a towing pkg. so suspect that's why it doesn't have a 7 pin connector or a brake controller. Have them add one, it's no big deal. Make sure (IMO) it's a Tekonsha product.

Leases; they can be good or bad. I have tried them twice, both "OK" experiences but like a straight up purchase better. Both times I traded them back in before the lease term was up, the mileage was under what I had paid for and I got better pricing upon return than the contract called for....BUT;

the selling point of a lease, "you only pay for the mileage you use" is sort of right and sort of not. If you make a large down payment, or have a significant trade in value, that first lease is a real "winner" with those low payments, but wait; when that lease expires they take your vehicle back for that predetermined residual value - basically even steven. Now you're stuck with zero trade in value and the next vehicle will be based on full price, then the amount financed is the residual depending on the length of your lease and mileage you choose to put on it. 2nd go round isn't as pretty as the first and those payments will grow. If you didn't like the lease and want to buy you are still stuck with no down payment and no trade in - you got that one "shot in the arm" lease period and it goes down hill from there IMO.

Keep in mind as well that the particular vehicle you choose can have very dramatic numbers from some other kind/brand. They are all trying to project your leased vehicle value somewhere down the road for that residual number....they don't do this and cut it slim in favor of the buyer so keep that in mind.

Tags
tow, tow vehicle