Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #1
turbojimmy

LED Light Fixtures

I took delivery of my new-to-me 2015 Bullet 220RBI today. I was kind of surprised that the interior light fixtures are not LED. The incandescent bulbs draw a stupid amount of juice and are not very bright. I boondock a lot so I don't want to waste battery on inefficient lighting. Overall the lighting in this thing is not good at all.

I had replaced all of the fixtures in my (recently sold) motorhome with LED. I tried LED "bulbs" (and panels) in the original fixtures but they just suck. The new fixtures are very bright, but they cast weird shadows so I don't want to use them in the Bullet.

So questions are: do new rigs come with LEDs that can be readily purchased so I can swap mine out? Or is there a brand/style that people have retrofitted that they like?
Old 07-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There are a ton of threads here on that subject. Brightness, color, voltage, etc. get a tall glass of your favorite beverage and use “LED lighting” in the search function.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There are a ton of threads here on that subject. Brightness, color, voltage, etc. get a tall glass of your favorite beverage and use “LED lighting” in the search function.

Thanks I'll do that. I searched on "LED fixture" which I guess is an outdated term. Not many relevant hits.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
Thanks I'll do that. I searched on "LED fixture" which I guess is an outdated term. Not many relevant hits.
If you haven't already, search on Amazon for "RV LED Light". You'll find many suitable replacements/fixtures. I wouldn't waste the time on replacement bulbs... no offense to those that have. Just buy new ceiling light fixtures. I would pay close attention to the on/off switch. I thing the switches that "slide" rather than toggle might be a bit more finicky. Using new ones, the worst case is you may see one of the old screw holes. Not really a big deal.
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:39 AM   #5
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
If you haven't already, search on Amazon for "RV LED Light". You'll find many suitable replacements/fixtures. I wouldn't waste the time on replacement bulbs... no offense to those that have. Just buy new ceiling light fixtures. I would pay close attention to the on/off switch. I thing the switches that "slide" rather than toggle might be a bit more finicky. Using new ones, the worst case is you may see one of the old screw holes. Not really a big deal.

I had installed fixtures with "slide" switches in my motor home. Over time a couple did get finicky. Had to slide it to just the right spot to get it to stay on. And yeah the bulbs and panels are no good.

So I looked for fixtures that are as close to original in size and function and got some of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CAFWX5C/

I haven't installed them yet but will do it over the weekend once the rig is at my house. Reviews are mixed. Some say too bright, some say too dim. Some say too white, some say not white enough.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
mikec557

Quote:
I had installed fixtures with "slide" switches in my motor home. Over time a couple did get finicky. Had to slide it to just the right spot to get it to stay on. And yeah the bulbs and panels are no good.

So I looked for fixtures that are as close to original in size and function and got some of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CAFWX5C/

I haven't installed them yet but will do it over the weekend once the rig is at my house. Reviews are mixed. Some say too bright, some say too dim. Some say too white, some say not white enough.
I'm looking at the same light but as a single instead of double. They have a 5 pack and I have a need for a few lights in new places the factory didn't think I needed. LOL
Old 07-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
turbojimmy

Quote:
I'm looking at the same light but as a single instead of double. They have a 5 pack and I have a need for a few lights in new places the factory didn't think I needed. LOL

I installed 3 of the 4 today. The color is almost like the incandescent bulbs but SO much brighter (and uses less power). The camera doesn't show the difference in brightness but you can see that the color is almost identical. In the pics the most forward light is LED, rearward is incandescent.

The Optronics fixtures are identical to the originals. Mounting points are the same (no new holes). The casting is a bit deeper so you need longer wood screws. Stock is 3/4". I went with 1".

I ordered more to completely replace the stock lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet LED-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	34838   Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet LED-2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	34839  
Old 07-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
mikec557

Quote:
I installed 3 of the 4 today. The color is almost like the incandescent bulbs but SO much brighter (and uses less power). The camera doesn't show the difference in brightness but you can see that the color is almost identical. In the pics the most forward light is LED, rearward is incandescent.

The Optronics fixtures are identical to the originals. Mounting points are the same (no new holes). The casting is a bit deeper so you need longer wood screws. Stock is 3/4". I went with 1".

I ordered more to completely replace the stock lights.
Those look great!
Old 07-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
turbojimmy

Quote:
Those look great!

Thanks! One more pic of the bedroom before and after. The color is pretty similar but there's a lot more light. Left is before, right is after. You can see you the light fills more of the bed as well as the sides (particularly the laundry chute).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bullet LED Bedroom.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	34847  

Tags
led, light