Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2021, 03:41 AM   #1
Uncoolron

Help With Weight Analysis on 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel

Had a chance to go to the truck weight station in I 95, VA yesterday on our way to DE Mother's day camping. I will attempt to upload 3 different weights, truck, and Camper stickers and hope it doesn't come out sideways .

Okay, it looks sideways but I think it will straighten up once clicked. The weight dated 4/28 is truck only as I drive it daily with 3/4 tank gas with bed toolbox with tools, B & W 20k lbs 5th wheel hitch, with me and the wifey,

The weight that says white Ford (Chevy ) is the weight isolated from the camper and the one that says Cougar is the weight isolated from the truck.

Good thing I have a gasser instead of a diesel 2500 Chevy because of the higher payload.

Anyway, I'm still not sure if my 3/4 ton truck is within the legal limit, or do I need to upgrade to a 1-ton truck? Any expert analysis and advice are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2105.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	33441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2115.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	33442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2116.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	33443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	33444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2094.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	33445  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	33446  
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
Uncoolron

Also, it looks like the tongue weight is 2k? How will I determine the weight of the axles?
Should put some o the weight in the back end of the camper?

For reference, my cargo bay has all the starter kit like power cables, water hose black tank accessories, and so forth. Plus golf bag, small charcoal BBQ with some charcoals, and box of small miscellaneous stuff. So, there is still lots of room in there.

Thanks in advance for any input and analysis.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:49 AM   #3
LewisB

For me, the attached photos in your OP were too small to read and would not expand when double-clicked. I believe the images need to be in landscape mode and saved as "full size" before you upload them to the forum. That should allow the users to double-click the attachment and resize the photos for larger size and more clarity. For me, at least, I couldn't read the information from your post.

Maybe others will have better luck/more skill than I had. Sorry.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Easy to just print/type the wt.s
Something Like this:
GVWR truck xx
Payload rating xx
Truck without trailer
Front axle xx
Rear xx

With trailer attached
Front xx
rear xx

Trailer GVWR
All or each axle wt.'s xx
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:06 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's my take, based on what I "THINK" you've posted:

First, let's address the truck.

The GVW is 10850 (per the sticker)
The PAYLOAD is 3453 (per the sticker)

That means when the truck "left the factory scales" it weighed 7397 pounds
(GVW - payload)
Your first weight is "truck front/rear axles" with no trailer and the weight is 8080. That means you've added 683 pounds since the truck was weighed at the factory. This could be people, tools, cargo, bed liner, hitch ball in the receiver, fifth wheel hitch in the bed, add-on running lights, etc....

So, when you weighed your truck, the "remaining payload" was 10850-8080=2770 (not what is on the sticker stating 3453).

The second weight photo says "COUGAR" and I'd assume that is the weight of the two trailer axles and is 6260.

The third weight photo says FORD and I assume is both axles of the truck on scale 1 with the trailer hitched to the truck and is 10220.

Now some calculations based on WHAT I THINK was on the scales when the photos were taken:

The truck alone weighed 8080.
The truck hitched to the trailer weighed 10220.
The Cougar axles weighed 6260.

So, the amount added to the truck (2140) plus the trailer axles (6260) is total trailer weight. That's 2140+6260= 8400

So, the truck (as weighed) is 8080
The trailer (as weighed) is 8400
The total rig is 16480.

Now, some observations to consider:

What/who was in the truck when these weights were done???

You said the truck was weighed one day and the rig was weighed another day. Was the hitch in the bed on the first weight? If not, then you'd need to add that to the first weights (to clean up the weight calculations)

Were all the passengers in the truck during the first weight AND during the second rig weight? If not, then you'd also need to add them to the first weight (to clean up the weight calculations).

Was the fuel gauge at "close to the same level for both weights" ???
weighing with a 3/4 tank at the first weight and then with an empty tank at the rig weight will skew the calculations by the weight of the fuel. So, calculate "apples to apples" by adding/subtracting the fuel difference if there was one.

It looks to me, based on if I understand your weights correctly,

your truck alone weighs 8080
your trailer alone weighs 8400
your rig hitched weighs 16480
your truck, with trailer hitched weighs 10220

With a truck GVWR of 10850, you were 630 pounds under your truck GVW when the rig was weighed. (keep in mind anything or any passengers that were not in the truck for both weights will need to be added/subtracted to get an accurate depiction of each individual weight).

With a trailer weight of 8400, I'd suspect that it was either empty or not fully loaded for a trip. So adding cargo and water to the trailer might put you at/over your truck GVW. There's 1600 pounds remaining on trailer weight and with a empty trailer weight (on the sticker) of 7580, there's only 820 pounds in the trailer. That's not much for a fifth wheel that size. I'd guess it was not loaded for a trip. Any of that 1600 pound remaining capacity WILL affect the pin weight and increase your payload, putting you closer to the truck GVWR.

Any cargo or water added to the trailer or to the truck bed will need to be accounted for.

As an example: If no passengers were represented in the scale sheet results, and your DW and dog weigh 200 pounds, you put a 100 pound generator in the bed and top off the 3/4 truck gas tank with 8 gallons of gas at 5 pounds per gallon, then you'd be adding 200+100+40 to the truck weight, which reduces that 630 remaining payload by the same amount.

So the 630 reserve would really be 340 less or you'd have 290 pounds remaining.

Also remember than anything you load into the trailer will also increase the total rig weight, will increase the trailer weight and the part of that cargo that is forward of the trailer axles will increase the pin weight, adding to the truck cargo and reducing that 290 pounds even more.

My "guesstimate" is that you're OK (under GVW for both truck and trailer) based on the weight scale results, but not my much, so anything or anyone not included in those weights can affect your "current weight" and potentially put you "uncomfortably close to maximum" or possibly make you "overweight"...

Was the

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
travelin texans

To simplify, a rv, especially a 5th wheel, with a GVWR of 10k is going to be right at the weight limits of most any brand of 1/2 ton pickup.
As stated on here numerous times if upgrading pickups skip the 3/4 to & go to the 1 ton, very little price, ride or mileage differences, but big gain in payload.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #7
Blackrock

Judging from your payload sticker and looking at the specs for that 5th wheel you have more than enough truck. I wouldn't hesitate to tow that with my Ram 1500.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Judging from your payload sticker and looking at the specs for that 5th wheel you have more than enough truck. I wouldn't hesitate to tow that with my Ram 1500.
Could you "provide some numbers to support your comment" ??? Based on the OP's weight slips, I can't find how you came up with that conclusion.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
Uncoolron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's my take, based on what I "THINK" you've posted:

First, let's address the truck.

The GVW is 10850 (per the sticker)
The PAYLOAD is 3453 (per the sticker)

That means when the truck "left the factory scales" it weighed 7397 pounds
(GVW - payload)
Your first weight is "truck front/rear axles" with no trailer and the weight is 8080. That means you've added 683 pounds since the truck was weighed at the factory. This could be people, tools, cargo, bed liner, hitch ball in the receiver, fifth wheel hitch in the bed, add-on running lights, etc....

So, when you weighed your truck, the "remaining payload" was 10850-8080=2770 (not what is on the sticker stating 3453).

The second weight photo says "COUGAR" and I'd assume that is the weight of the two trailer axles and is 6260.

The third weight photo says FORD and I assume is both axles of the truck on scale 1 with the trailer hitched to the truck and is 10220.

Now some calculations based on WHAT I THINK was on the scales when the photos were taken:

The truck alone weighed 8080.
The truck hitched to the trailer weighed 10220.
The Cougar axles weighed 6260.

So, the amount added to the truck (2140) plus the trailer axles (6260) is total trailer weight. That's 2140+6260= 8400

So, the truck (as weighed) is 8080
The trailer (as weighed) is 8400
The total rig is 16480.

Now, some observations to consider:

What/who was in the truck when these weights were done???

You said the truck was weighed one day and the rig was weighed another day. Was the hitch in the bed on the first weight? If not, then you'd need to add that to the first weights (to clean up the weight calculations)

Were all the passengers in the truck during the first weight AND during the second rig weight? If not, then you'd also need to add them to the first weight (to clean up the weight calculations).

Was the fuel gauge at "close to the same level for both weights" ???
weighing with a 3/4 tank at the first weight and then with an empty tank at the rig weight will skew the calculations by the weight of the fuel. So, calculate "apples to apples" by adding/subtracting the fuel difference if there was one.

It looks to me, based on if I understand your weights correctly,

your truck alone weighs 8080
your trailer alone weighs 8400
your rig hitched weighs 16480
your truck, with trailer hitched weighs 10220

With a truck GVWR of 10850, you were 630 pounds under your truck GVW when the rig was weighed. (keep in mind anything or any passengers that were not in the truck for both weights will need to be added/subtracted to get an accurate depiction of each individual weight).

With a trailer weight of 8400, I'd suspect that it was either empty or not fully loaded for a trip. So adding cargo and water to the trailer might put you at/over your truck GVW. There's 1600 pounds remaining on trailer weight and with a empty trailer weight (on the sticker) of 7580, there's only 820 pounds in the trailer. That's not much for a fifth wheel that size. I'd guess it was not loaded for a trip. Any of that 1600 pound remaining capacity WILL affect the pin weight and increase your payload, putting you closer to the truck GVWR.

Any cargo or water added to the trailer or to the truck bed will need to be accounted for.

As an example: If no passengers were represented in the scale sheet results, and your DW and dog weigh 200 pounds, you put a 100 pound generator in the bed and top off the 3/4 truck gas tank with 8 gallons of gas at 5 pounds per gallon, then you'd be adding 200+100+40 to the truck weight, which reduces that 630 remaining payload by the same amount.

So the 630 reserve would really be 340 less or you'd have 290 pounds remaining.

Also remember than anything you load into the trailer will also increase the total rig weight, will increase the trailer weight and the part of that cargo that is forward of the trailer axles will increase the pin weight, adding to the truck cargo and reducing that 290 pounds even more.

My "guesstimate" is that you're OK (under GVW for both truck and trailer) based on the weight scale results, but not my much, so anything or anyone not included in those weights can affect your "current weight" and potentially put you "uncomfortably close to maximum" or possibly make you "overweight"...

Was the
Thank you very much, sir for this very detailed analysis on my weights. For more clarification purposes on Both weight-in, the wife and I are both in the truck. First weight-in truck is empty except the permanent bed toolbox with tools and B&W hitch with 3/4 gas in the tank. 2nd weight-in gas tank is full, all the 1 week worth of food and clothing, 42 bottles of water, laptop bag and 3 more miscellaneous bags are in the truck.

The camper additional cargo besides all the necessary connections are golf bag, small charcoal BBQ grill with small bag charcoal and small box of miscellaneous stuff. Pretty much all these will be the default set up of the truck and camper. But all 3 tanks are empty, 1 black and 2 grey.

This will be the default set up until this summer for a cross country trip for maybe one month. For explaining all my weights now I have clear understanding on where I’m at and where to go from there.

Again, thank you very, Sir.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #10
Blackrock

Quote:
Could you "provide some numbers to support your comment" ??? Based on the OP's weight slips, I can't find how you came up with that conclusion.....
It's comes from a lifetime of experience and common sense. That gasser 3/4 ton has more payload than a lot of diesel 1 tons out there.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It's comes from a lifetime of experience and common sense. That gasser 3/4 ton has more payload than a lot of diesel 1 tons out there.
You said you'd tow it with your RAM 1500. If you'd please provide some "real world numbers" to back up that lifetime of experience and common sense.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #12
notanlines

I can just sense that this won't end well.
Ron, go with your common sense on this one. You've been given good advice by a number of experienced members. One, ah, maybe not so much. Minimum 3/4 ton, but go one ton if it's available.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #13
Blackrock

Quote:
You said you'd tow it with your RAM 1500. If you'd please provide some "real world numbers" to back up that lifetime of experience and common sense.....
I'm towing a 2016 Laredo 254SRL with a 2016 Ram 1500 Express with a payload of 1820#. Advertised pin weight is 1450# and verified by myself as actual pin weight when loaded out with full LP tanks and FW tank filled.
When loaded out with full LP and FW I'm 600# over on the rear axle. Does this bother me? Not in the least. Do i care what you think? Now that's funny right there.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #14
Badbart56

Well, ya know, there's always that one guy.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:30 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I'm towing a 2016 Laredo 254SRL with a 2016 Ram 1500 Express with a payload of 1820#. Advertised pin weight is 1450# and verified by myself as actual pin weight when loaded out with full LP tanks and FW tank filled.
When loaded out with full LP and FW I'm 600# over on the rear axle. Does this bother me? Not in the least. Do i care what you think? Now that's funny right there.
You said in post # 7, "Judging from your payload sticker and looking at the specs for that 5th wheel you have more than enough truck. I wouldn't hesitate to tow that with my Ram 1500."

We're not addressing your "towing status". You told the OP that you could tow his trailer with a 2140 pound pin plus his wife and the "approximately 450-500 pounds of water, tools, groceries and the in-bed tool box he has in his truck. All that with your RAM 1500. I'd be surprised that your RAM 1500 payload is "sufficient to carry a 2140 pound fifth wheel pin. So, again, post those "real world numbers" that are on the payload sticker and GVWR sticker on your RAM 1500 that support the capability to tow his trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-08-2021, 05:31 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

On second thought, don't worry about posting the numbers from your RAM 1500. It's really not relevant to anything related to the OP's weight status.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #17
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Well, ya know, there's always that one guy.....
Does that go with the quote of “you can’t fix stupid?”

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Does that go with the quote of “you can’t fix stupid?”

Yes ma'am it does.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

These threads always end up in the toilet when that one guy jumps in and contradicts reality and common sense. Folks claim there is no such thing as a stupid question but there seems to be a real stupid answer. We just heard one!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
On second thought, don't worry about posting the numbers from your RAM 1500. It's really not relevant to anything related to the OP's weight status.

Judging by previous posts in other threads I would doubt their validity anyway.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow