Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #41
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank r View Post
Sure I will...

While driving alongside the TT, my wife could see the TT sway within its lane, but did not see any wobbling or obvious disalignment of the TT wheels.

Thanks Frank for clarifying.

I would try the water experiment and check the wheel alignment with a straight edge. Both easy enough to do.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #42
Wyldfire

My dogs love riding in there crates in back of our pickup. Our winddoors makes letting them in and out of the crates easy:

https://youtu.be/AJC_zxljFgw

Working in Healthcare I know if you are ever in an accident the dogs chances of survival are far greater in a crate then running free in the cab of a vehicle.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:30 AM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Are you using a sway bar? Reese WDH does not have sway control. This is a Curt but the same thing. Some folks will run this without the sway bar.

Attachment 33327
Not true. I have reese straight line hitch that has built in sway control. Here's some more/newer Reese models. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wei...EaAo9zEALw_wcB
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:37 AM   #44
frank r

Just a quick update - I filled the fresh water tank and tried that. It actually made the condition noticeably worse. I pulled off, drained the tank and continued on my way.

I knew that this would have been nothing more than a band-aid over the real issue, but I was hoping to see a little improvement. Uphill I can push it to about 60, but downhill or on the flats it get pretty hairy above 50 - not alot of fun on the interstate, that's for sure.
frank r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:44 AM   #45
jasin1

Quote:
Just a quick update - I filled the fresh water tank and tried that. It actually made the condition noticeably worse. I pulled off, drained the tank and continued on my way.

I knew that this would have been nothing more than a band-aid over the real issue, but I was hoping to see a little improvement. Uphill I can push it to about 60, but downhill or on the flats it get pretty hairy above 50 - not alot of fun on the interstate, that's for sure.

Man I don’t know if I’d ever try to go 60 with that setup.. that could be some of your problem right there.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:14 AM   #46
frank r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Man I don’t know if I’d ever try to go 60 with that setup.. that could be some of your problem right there.
When I got the Expy back in 2019, it pulled really well (for what it was) at 70. Never had the nerve to push it past that.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:39 AM   #47
slow

Do you have a friend that could pull the trailer to isolate the issue to the TV or TT?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #48
notanlines

Frank, let me be frank, DON’T get the nerve either. You don’t want to be on youtube.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #49
frank r

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Do you have a friend that could pull the trailer to isolate the issue to the TV or TT?
Yeah, that is part of my plan for the 3 weeks I will have between this weekend's trip and our next outing.

Let me pose this question to the group - Turning my TT around at my house to park it requires an extremely sharp turn backing up. In doing this, I notice that the TT wheels on the inside of the turn (I can't see the outside wheels in my mirror) don't so much roll as they drag sideways. This is only for a few feet and it is on a gravel surface (less friction). Could this be causing damage that may be the root of my problem? Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I did check wheel bearing play, and it seemed like an acceptable amount to me. I have owned 4 other TTs of similar size, and have parked each of them the exact same way and never had an issue - but I wanted to float this out there to see what folks have to say.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

You have an obviously dangerous situation that needs to remedied before going further and endangering everyone around you. Doing otherwise is reckless IMHO. With that size TV and trailer you have a "marginal" set up AT BEST. Now, something is seriously amiss and towing that way is irresponsible. Replace the TV (best solution IMO) or fix what you have until you can. INMHO the issue towing (if everything is set up correctly) has exasperated an issue with the TV and it needs to be fixed.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

If adding 200-300 pounds to the tongue created that much added sway, you have a "critical issue" somewhere. Whether it's the tow vehicle that is severly overloaded, the P series tires that just can't handle that amount of sidewall stress, the truck suspension "giving up the ghost", the truck receiver loose/broken or some other "truck related situation" or whether it's the trailer suspension cracked/broken, a spring hanger bent/broken, an equalizer damaged, spring bolts worn beyond help, a broken spring, loose U-bolts on an axle or some other "trailer related situation"...

Something's no right if that small amount of weight causes that much added sway that you have to stop on the side of the road to empty the tank in order to maintain control of the rig at highway speeds.

I wouldn't be towing that rig with my family until I found the problem and corrected it. Some things are just too valuable to put at risk "for the sake of a weekend away from home".....

As for backing at acute angles and seeing the wheels "displaced", Yes that's typical. I can see some (not a lot) of wheel/axle deflection when turning at sharp angles. It straightens out as soon as I pull forward and reduce the angle between the truck/trailer. The next time you see that much "deflection" stop, get out and look at the "blind side tires" that you can't see in the mirrors. It should be "fairly close on both sides"... If not, look at the suspension, something MAY be broken.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #52
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If adding 200-300 pounds to the tongue created that much added sway, you have a "critical issue" somewhere. Whether it's the tow vehicle that is severly overloaded, the P series tires that just can't handle that amount of sidewall stress, the truck suspension "giving up the ghost", the truck receiver loose/broken or some other "truck related situation" or whether it's the trailer suspension cracked/broken, a spring hanger bent/broken, an equalizer damaged, spring bolts worn beyond help, a broken spring, loose U-bolts on an axle or some other "trailer related situation"...

Something's no right if that small amount of weight causes that much added sway that you have to stop on the side of the road to empty the tank in order to maintain control of the rig at highway speeds.

I wouldn't be towing that rig with my family until I found the problem and corrected it. Some things are just too valuable to put at risk "for the sake of a weekend away from home".....

As for backing at acute angles and seeing the wheels "displaced", Yes that's typical. I can see some (not a lot) of wheel/axle deflection when turning at sharp angles. It straightens out as soon as I pull forward and reduce the angle between the truck/trailer. The next time you see that much "deflection" stop, get out and look at the "blind side tires" that you can't see in the mirrors. It should be "fairly close on both sides"... If not, look at the suspension, something MAY be broken.
I agree. Adding weight forward of the axles should have stabilized the trailer. Not the other way around. i.e. So if the normal way of reducing sway, makes it worse, then the TV has got to be severely overloaded. Unless something is loose or broken.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #53
akmk81

Quote:
I have a 2019 2920BH which I tow with a 2009 Expedition. From the day I switched from a Tahoe to the Expy, I noticed it swayed more, which was to be expected with the Expy's IRS.

However, mid-way through last season, I noticed the sway becoming worse, and at the end of last season, it got to the point where I had to stay under 60mph, and any passing truck induced a white-knuckle moment. This year, I replaced the rear struts on the Expy (I knew at least one of them was bad) and added a pair of Sumo Springs, hoping that this would help.

Just got back tonight from a short weekend trip, and the sway is as bad as ever, if not worse than I remember. I have a Reese WDH, which I believe is set up properly. The tires on the TT and TV are inflated properly, and the lugs are all tightened to spec. On its own, the TV seems to ride just fine, with no hint of ride quality issues. When I got home tonight, I checked wheel bearing play - I was able to get just a hint of lateral movement in all 4 wheels, but nothing that seemed to be cause for concern. Would loose wheel bearings on the TT cause my issues? I'm sure I could snug these up a bit, but I'm concerned about overtightening.

Any input on where else to look would be greatly appreciated. Just for context, I've been towing larger TTs for 25 years with all sorts of TVs, so I am definitely not imagining this.

Thank you.
Maybe this has been mentioned, but have you checked the TT tires for a busted belt in one or more of the tires? I know with car tires a busted belt can make the car pull one way or the other and if you have multiple tires with such a problem it could lead to sway. It could also explain why the problem has come on gradually.

2004 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.0 Powerstroke Lariat CC SB SRW
2018 Cougar 311res
PullRite SuperLite on standard rails
akmk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmk81 View Post
Maybe this has been mentioned, but have you checked the TT tires for a busted belt in one or more of the tires? I know with car tires a busted belt can make the car pull one way or the other and if you have multiple tires with such a problem it could lead to sway. It could also explain why the problem has come on gradually.
Yes, a valid consideration... That why more than one of us has recommended hitching the trailer to a "3/4 ton (or heavier) truck" and seeing if the problem resolves... If it does, it's the "inadequate" tow vehicle, if the problems remain the same, it's the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #55
bbells

My navigator was the worst tow vehicle I ever owned. I replaced all the struts, wdh, added swat bars etc. They have too short of a wheelbase for that length of trailer. It needs at least a four way equalizer hitch. But, IMHO, it will never be good for over 60mph.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #56
rlh1957

Is it loaded to heavy in the rear?

Different TV or Trailer... need to re-weigh trailer and tongue weight. Weigh TV and do all the math again.

Check for uneven tire wear or suspension wear.

To state the obvious... something has changed.
So you have to assume nothing and re-examine what you think is a known fact.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote