Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
mccannsg57

Exclamation Sanitizing my water system

I’m getting ready to bleach my water system and have one question about this.
I have city water that already puts a bacteria killer in would just filling up my fresh water tank and running 2 tanks through it kill what may be in the system?
Or should I add a little less bleach? I have a Premier 24RKPR travel trailer
mccannsg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Maineiacs

For the sake of safety, assume the worst. Your tank and the lines that supply your faucets have crud growing in them. Add the bleach, remove your faucet strainers, flush the lines thoroughly, flush the tank and the lines with fresh clean city water and then you know you're safe using tank water. Won't hurt anything and it may prevent an issue.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
mccannsg57

Thanks, I was planning on bleaching but just wondered about the city water. I looked a little online but couldn’t find anything about that. Just trying to outsmart myself into trouble.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #4
cavie

fill your tank with a solution of 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gals of water. Run it thru all the lines. Refill with clear city water.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannsg57 View Post
just wondered about the city water.

The level of chemicals in your tap water is designed to protect or purify the tap water. Whether the concentration would be high enough to disinfect a potentially contaminated RV is unknown.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
mccannsg57

I think along your line of ” for safety sake, assume the worst”. I guess also city water is consistently flowing not just sitting in a plastic reservoir.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Considering your camper is new, I don't think there is too much concern about "things" growing in the water tank or the plumbing. If it were a 10 year old camper, left empty and overgrown with weeds and infested by rats,.... yea ... you'd need to sanitize. But a NEW camper?

Here's what I suggest.... this is providing you have not used water in your camper already: Do a first time sanitization and then don't worry about it every again, as long as you are using, or are connected to your treated city water at home.

The very first time you add water to a new camper, you should flush it out. This cleans out any factory particles that may be in the lines. Also, after flushing things out the first time, you'll probably need to remove the aerators on the end of your kitchen faucet and bathroom faucet and clean them out, because they most likely will be clogged up with construction particles from the factory. I know water lines are suppose to be clean, but they clean only when you've flushed them first.

Now, if you have already filled your tank and ran water through your lines and flushed things out, there no need to do it again.

We lived "in town" for over 16 years and all the time we lived there, I sanatized my campers only once. And that was the day I brought them home from the dealer brand new. The chemical content in the city water was more than enough to sanitize and keep the lines healthy.

If your tank had been sitting around for a few years, partially full, or even empty, that would be a different situation. But with a NEW camper, no, flushing with city treated water will do the trick.

We now live in the country. Been out here for quite a while now. We are on a well, and we are going on 2 1/2 years with our current Montana fifth wheel, and I've sanitized only once. Again, that was the day I brought it home from the dealer. We keep water in it all the time, Summer and Winter, and we have a whole house filtration system (no chlorine though). And after 3 trailers, we've never had problems with any kind of contaminated water systems in any of our trailers.

Bottom line is: If you are city treated water, you are probably perfectly good to go.

On Edit: How do I know you have a new camper? I read your other post!
Old 04-07-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
mccannsg57

Thanks for all the help
Old 04-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #9
gearhead

If you do sanitize, everything I've read says to let the system sit for 24 hours before flushing the bleach solution out.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #10
Twisties

On chlorinated systems city water would be treated with higher levels to disinfect. Then levels are reduced to maintain when the water enters the distribution system. If there is a line break municipal systems should treat the downstream area with higher, disinfectant levels and flush before lifting any boil orders or stop use orders. As well, many water systems use other methods, such as filtration, ozone or uv light or other oxidants. But the point remains the same: lower maintenance levels in the distribution system.

Point being, no the levels of disinfectant present in the water from your tap are not effective in sanitizing your RV.

In my owner's manual Keystone specifies 1/4 c bleach per gallon water, then one gallon of that solution for every 15 gallons of fresh water tank capacity. Then fill the fresh tank with water.

So, in my case, 60 g fresh tank..... 4 gallons bleach solution (one cup of bleach total) and fill tank. Run it through lines until you smell it. Let stand 4 hours (per Keystone). Completely drain system, fill and flush until clear of bleach.

My question is, are you supposed to fill the hot water heater with the sanitizing solution?

We are de-winterizing for the first time, and the instructions imply not to. The sanitizing instructions don't mention it, but in the de-winterizing instructions it has you open the hot water bypass when ready to use hot water, after the sanitize step. Not super clear.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #11
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post

My question is, are you supposed to fill the hot water heater with the sanitizing solution?

We are de-winterizing for the first time, and the instructions imply not to. The sanitizing instructions don't mention it, but in the de-winterizing instructions it has you open the hot water bypass when ready to use hot water, after the sanitize step. Not super clear.
No, I would not open the HW heater bypass valve until after you have sanitized and flushed the system. Similarly to how you don't want the antifreeze in the HW heater over winter, you also don't want the bleach solution in your HW heater either.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
mccannsg57

I sanitized my system last weekend. 1/4 cup per 15 gallons plus I included my hot water heater in the equation. I drained and flushed the antifreeze making sure no antifreeze was in the lines. Then open up the bypass and filled the heater with the sanitizing solution. I did not turn the water heater on, I just filled it. I also read in the keystone manual 4 hrs but I let the solution sit overnight. I put some solution in the grey water and black water tanks. I also drove it around for a couple of hrs on different roads to let it slosh around. When I drained the sanitizing solution I just opened the drain on the bottom. I would fill the hot water heater from the city connection then open the back drain valve. I flushed both hot water heater and fresh water tank 3 times.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #13
Munro

sanitizing fresh water system for first time use

It is going to sound silly but how do I get the bleach water into my fresh water tank? I have a hose bib to connect my water source but I don't see how to fill the tank with the bleach solution. Newbie here....thank you
Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #14
mccannsg57

I used a small pump that I have. I filled a 5 gal bucket and pumped it in. You could use a funnel with a hose attached. The funnel method you would make your mix in a gallon jug and pour it in the funnel. Put some fresh water in the tank before you put in the solution. Another would be use a new gas can with a long pour spout.
I’m sure if you go over old posts there are other ways.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:41 PM   #15
mccannsg57

Another way you would find out different methods of putting the bleach solution into your tank is look it up on the internet. There are quite a few posts on the process. I hope it helps you out.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #16
dutchmensport

Pumb your bleach solution through your winterizing hose. Instead of pumping antifreeze, pump the bleach into your fresh water tank. Once in the tank, then add more water to reach the right percentage. Pump more clear water through the pump though so it flushes out the bleach solution in the water pump. But this is one way to do it.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
mccannsg57

Munro I’m wondering what type of RV you are working on
Old 05-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #18
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro View Post
It is going to sound silly but how do I get the bleach water into my fresh water tank? I have a hose bib to connect my water source but I don't see how to fill the tank with the bleach solution. Newbie here....thank you

I could use my winterizing feature but it is difficult to access. So this is how I do it.

It takes 9 minutes to fill my FW tank. So I start by filling it for 3 minutes to get it 1/3 full. I use two hoses connected together with a shut off valve at the connection between the two hoses. When 1/3 full, I shut the water flow at the end of the first hose and drain the second hose of water. I then reconnect the second hose to the first and keep the shut off valve closed between the two hoses. I then pour bleach into the second hose at the end that will connect to the fresh water tank inlet. Then I reconnect the second hose to the water inlet, turn the shutoff valve on and the bleach is forced and mixed into the FW tank.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #19
ChuckS

When I sanitize our fifth wheel I take the city water hose off and drain it and pour in a @/2 cup bleach in the hose and reconnect hose and turn water fill water tank and run water pump and open each faucet till I smell bleach.. let it sit for 24 hours and then drain fresh water tank and refill and run water pump and flush all faucets.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #20
dahvger

Most vlogs show to bypass the water heater while sanitizing, however we have a 2021 with an on demand water heater and therefore the water panel does not have bypass valves. Will it hurt this water heater to sanitize it with bleach?
dahvger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water