Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
Jamesmasten09

Upgraded

Hello! My family and I are living full time in our RV and just upgraded from a 21 ft Forest River Wolf Pup to a 2021 Keystone Hideout 29BQWE. Towing with a Ford F-150 max tow package, and using the 4 point sway control and will be getting an airbag system for my suspension. Happy to be here!
Jamesmasten09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:24 AM   #2
Chris P

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:42 AM   #3
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Not trying to rain on your parade but perhaps help you understand your truck's capability. Hauling a 34' 10,000 lb. Trailer is typically considered the work of a 3/4 ton or more truck. Look to the yellow and white tire inflation sticker on the drivers side door pillar. It will state the maximum weight of all passengers and load should not exceed xxxx lbs. That's the maximum weight IF the truck was as it was from the factory, i.e. No added equipment like a bedliner, bed cover, tool box, tools, jack, ice chests, etc. That's the number to be concerned with. The max towing number they like to brag about is meaningless when it comes to campers. The weight on the hitch will be the limiting factor before you come close to the tow capacity.

That length trailer will act as a large sail on the back of the truck. The vast majority of 1/2 ton trucks, especially if the truck does not have LT tires will experience sway. P rated tires (P is passenger car) aired to 35 psi simply aren't up to the task.

Now let's look at some trailer numbers. Trailer "empty weight" or "shipping weight". This is a useless number. That's what it weighed from the factory before the dealer installed the battery, the LP tanks, and the spare tire. Then you load all the stuff that you'll need like food, cooking utensils, tableware, linens for beds and bathroom, clothing,drinks, hoses, extension wire and hoses, and the list goes on. So, without weighting and knowing using the GVW of the trailer as you will be closer to it than that "empty weight".

Trailer tongue weight. The published number is based on "empty weight" which is no where near the "actual" weight therefore it's useless as well. The tongue weight is generally accepted for the point of calculating an unknow weight to be between 10%-15% of the trailer weight for travel trailers. Middle number about 12% for theoretical calculations. For a GTW of 10 k lbs. that's a 1,300 lb. tongue weight. Now you must also add about 120 lbs for a decent WDH . Now the weight on the back of the truck is over 1,400 lbs.

Take the truck's payload capacity and subtract that 1,400 lbs. The remaining number will be what's left of your payload for passengers, pets, snacks drinks, kids, and anything else you place in the truck (including in the bed). There are a few 1/2 ton trucks out there that are capable of attaining the payload of a trailer that size but they are few in numbers and typically are not found in dealer inventory.

The point of this is to make you aware if you already are not of how the towing numbers working real world weights. I wish you all the best in your new adventure with safe and enjoyable travels.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I believe he has the "max tow package" which consists of:

The Max Trailer Tow Package consists of a 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness, Class IV receiver hitch, 3.55 electronically locking rear differential, 36-gallon fuel tank, auxiliary transmission and engine oil coolers, an integrated trailer brake controller, and an upgraded front stabilizer bar.

I believe the added weight will likely reduce the OP's payload. James, what is the payload capacity for your 1/2 ton? A payload placard looks like this and is in the driver door frame:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	31451  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
Jamesmasten09

Hello, here is a link to the excel for my RV and truck. It’s a spreadsheet I pulled off of Keep your daydream’s website. https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiOUuNz_wrPYgz7XmIIJyu7k2lw5
Jamesmasten09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesmasten09 View Post
Hello, here is a link to the excel for my RV and truck. It’s a spreadsheet I pulled off of Keep your daydream’s website. https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiOUuNz_wrPYgz7XmIIJyu7k2lw5
Where did you get the numbers that you imputed for the truck? The 1,000 lb. tongue weight that you used is not realistic as I explained in my earlier post and no where do I see a calculation that takes into account for the weight of the weight distributing hitch itself.

I think that if you used more realistic numbers that 84 lbs. of remaining payload will disappear. I know how you want to make this work and I'll bet the dealer who took your money told you that "you'll be fine" but at an 84 lbs. of remaking payload when you haven't weighed a thing other than maybe people ( if you and the DW are being honest) is getting on an unrealistic scenario as you are depending on the published unloaded tongue weight that I guarantee you'll never see.

Personally I wouldn't put my family in that rig for a trip to the local campground much less full time in it where you will not have the luxury of not going if it's a bad wind storm. There have been many of us that have lived thru this experience of buying too much trailer for the truck. You aren't the first and won't be the last. Good luck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
markcee

Quote:
Welcome James!

Your truck's curb weight is not 3800 pounds. Provided the payload figure you posted (1684) is actually from the sticker on your door, your truck's curb weight, as it left the factory (with an assumed full tank of fuel) was 5366 pounds. This is calculated as your truck's GVWR (7050) minus door sticker Payload Capacity (1684). Remember that sticker payload is only 'good' as long as you added nothing extra to the truck after purchase (bedliner, tonneau, heavier tires, toolbox, etc.). Anything added after the fact, reduces that sticker payload accordingly.

Let's assume you still have a starting payload of 1684 pounds. From this deduct the following for your trailer:

1300 lbs tongue weight (13% of 10K trailer GVWR)
100 lbs for the hitch
400 lbs for people
100 lbs for miscellaneous items in the truck bed

This adds up to 1900 lbs - 384 pounds over your truck's payload rating.

I am also not trying to rain on your parade. I was in the exact same boat as you with a '19 'max tow' and a 9500 GVWR 33' trailer. It was nearly impossible not to be right at or slightly over my payload and rear axle rating and I started with 200 pounds more payload than you have.

To get the most accurate assessment, load up your truck completely for camping (all passengers, all gear, the hitch), fuel up the tank and hit the CAT scale. Subtract your truck's actual weight from 7050. What's left is what you have to support your trailer's tongue weight.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #9
Sarge2

From Southeast Michigan!
Heck of a way to start out on the forum but believe me these guys know what they are talking about... Can you haul it? the answer is Yes.. will it be as Safe as possible? the answer is no... If you have your heart set on it and are convinced it will be "good to go" then nobody will talk you out of it...

Just be safe.
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

James, first welcome to the forum! Lots of good folks and tons of knowledge here. Secondly, I applaud your effort at trying to use that spreadsheet to see if your truck was OK for that trailer. Unfortunately as has been mentioned, it's really not.

The spreadsheet is obviously inaccurate which led you to an inaccurate decision. Even by the spreadsheet, with a combo that had an 84lb. margin before being overloaded.....why go there?

Look at the numbers provided by others previously which will be more accurate and real life. The weight of the 4 point hitch (I'm assuming Equalizer) will exceed 100lbs. 200lbs. for everything else in the truck might get you by if you don't do anything everywhere you go, don't air up the tires, no toys, bbqs etc. Figure more like 500 I would think - what about a compressor when you need it for ???

All of those things from folks trying to make you cognizant of the fact you are going to be in a not so perfect scenario if not careful. The key is to be honest with yourself and DW. Load that truck and trailer like you mean to use it for a while...REALLY use it with the stuff you need to have (and eventually will) for a fun, no stress trip - then go to a scale. That is the definitive answer for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:47 AM   #11
cavie

Can you tow it?????................the answer is YES! The bigger question is.......Can you stop it???????????
Old 01-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #12
Mikelff

Quote:
Hello! My family and I are living full time in our RV and just upgraded from a 21 ft Forest River Wolf Pup to a 2021 Keystone Hideout 29BQWE. Towing with a Ford F-150 max tow package, and using the 4 point sway control and will be getting an airbag system for my suspension. Happy to be here!
Welcome to the forum. As others have provided the “real life” numbers for you. Lets face it, you will be overweight and unsafe with the F150. Air bags will only help your ride. They do not add legal weight capacity. If you develop an air leak or bag failure, and it happens, you are back to your original rear springs. Not safe. Since you say you are full timing, You will need a new to you 250 or 2500 depending on your favorite brand. You can find a nice late model Truck if you shop around, but to be real, thats what you need for that upgraded trailer. I know you do not want to put your family at risk, so time to look for another truck, especially if you do much traveling. Safe travels!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #13
LewisB

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for checking in. You may be overwhelmed by what appears to be "negative' feedback (which is actually intended to be positive towards the safety of you and your family). Many of us have BTDT (been there done that) - for me it was towing a 21' travel trailer with a short wheelbase K5 Chevy blazer. I was one final swing away from a roll over ending on I-10 in Arizona when it became clear to me that I needed to do something different.

Many folks attempt to lessen the load on their tow vehicle (with limited payload capabilities) by transferring weight to behind their trailer axles - thus reducing the tongue weight. However, this creates an even more dangerous imbalance in the load that can lead to a disastrous ending. See attached:
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade