Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 03:30 AM   #1
purebred

Alpine ceiling fan worthless?

Just wondering how many others out there feel about the factory ceiling fan in their coaches? Ours seems to close to the ceiling to get a good airflow. I ended up getting two small fans from wally world and using them instead.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:14 AM   #2
bearcat77

Agreed. The ceiling fan in our Montana High Country is useless. We use a couple fans on the floor as well.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:28 AM   #3
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
Agreed. The ceiling fan in our Montana High Country is useless. We use a couple fans on the floor as well.
Just another item to raise the msrp for people to pay for. Along with key tv, and the rest of the so called improvements. Too bad a person couldn't get a 30 day money back guarantee with their rv's. Maybe that would make rv engineers more in tune with their so called improvements. Don't get me wrong we like our new Alpine but dang it seems a lot of these brilliant ideas they have just don't float.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:36 AM   #4
Javi

I'm actually glad to have my fan.. is it the best fan in the world... No

But it does help move the air around... and it's one less thing sitting on the table or in the corner..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan.jpeg
Views:	413
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	29768  
Old 09-14-2020, 04:38 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
Just wondering how many others out there feel about the factory ceiling fan in their coaches? Ours seems to close to the ceiling to get a good airflow. I ended up getting two small fans from wally world and using them instead.
If you think about it, a fan sticking down from the ceiling on a pole (like on a vaulted ceiling in a home) would end end up on the floor. Either the head thumping or the earthquake of rolling down the wonderful highways of America would rip it from it's "flimsy" mounting in the ceiling.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you think about it, a fan sticking down from the ceiling on a pole (like on a vaulted ceiling in a home) would end end up on the floor. Either the head thumping or the earthquake of rolling down the wonderful highways of America would rip it from it's "flimsy" mounting in the ceiling.
How right you are. Exactly what I'm saying about certain items installed in rvs now. If they worked they would be great.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:56 AM   #7
chunker

2 previous RVs had the ceiling fans and I liked them. The 2011 Raptor 300MP had a 120v fan and while it wasn't a huge air mover, it did distribute the heat and cooling in the trailer. In the Itasca motorhome, there were 2, 12V models and they did the same thing. Don't expect residential performance, they just are not big enough. But they can stir up the air to keep the heat from being at the ceiling and mix it up. If you want a steady breeze on you, get a floor fan and sit beside it.

Current RV the Raptor 356 doesn't have any so I put an occulting fan on a night stand in the BR to move some air around. May have to add something to the LR for the same purpose. Be glad you have one.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:02 AM   #8
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
2 previous RVs had the ceiling fans and I liked them. The 2011 Raptor 300MP had a 120v fan and while it wasn't a huge air mover, it did distribute the heat and cooling in the trailer. In the Itasca motorhome, there were 2, 12V models and they did the same thing. Don't expect residential performance, they just are not big enough. But they can stir up the air to keep the heat from being at the ceiling and mix it up. If you want a steady breeze on you, get a floor fan and sit beside it.

Current RV the Raptor 356 doesn't have any so I put an occulting fan on a night stand in the BR to move some air around. May have to add something to the LR for the same purpose. Be glad you have one.
If you would have read my whole post you would have seen where i added two fans. Sheeese
Old 09-14-2020, 05:09 AM   #9
chunker

Quote:
If you would have read my whole post you would have seen where i added two fans. Sheeese
If you would read my whole post then you would know you need to use RV features within the limitations they have. Ceiling fans in RVs will never have the performance of one in a real house but that doesn't make them worthless.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:49 AM   #10
purebred

It's pretty well worthless if it doesn't move the air.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:00 AM   #11
chunker

Quote:
It's pretty well worthless if it doesn't move the air.
I agree but we need to view things as RV not residential. Like the water heater. At home we can probably take long showers and not worry about running out of hot water. Not something I can do with any RV I've owned. The ceiling fans I've had in RVs had puny performance when comparing to my house. Right now I'm sitting in the Raptor in Grand Forks ND and it's in the 30's outside. I've got the fireplace going and with no fan in the LR, the heat is all at the ceiling not where my feet are. I wish I had an "air mixer" but as you did, I'll need to add an oscillating fan someplace. Trust me I've been giving it some thought.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #12
purebred

Chunker I appreciate the comments and understand very well the weather conditions you are experiencing right now. When we went full time in our alpine last year and experienced our first winter i thought what in the h__l did we do. It definitely wakes a person up and helps a person to understand what the weather does to happy campers. Hopefully being close to south padre this winter will help. At least until a hurricane shows up. If that happens then who knows what.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:26 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
How right you are. Exactly what I'm saying about certain items installed in rvs now. If they worked they would be great.
If you made a list of things that don't perform well in an RV it would be very long. The manufacturers only do this because the customers demand it. The demand is reflected in the sales.

It's the same demand seen in cars, home appliances, etc. The consumers are so ingrained with the idea that everything is disposable that they no longer are concerned with quality. Consumers want the "newest and greatest" gee whiz do dads to show off and bragg about.

Camping trailers were a step up from sleeping on the ground with a flashlight and a cooler to sleeping in a box with a LP light and an LP fridge. That has progressed to the current demand for the "comforts of home" with everything possible connected to your smart phone.

As I see it, the major issue is with the manner in which the RV industry is structured. Unlike the auto industry that simply assembles parts than are pre tested, failsafe install design and high production numbers that quickly ferret out issues the RV industry builds from the frame up. The RV industry purchases the new technology basically untried and unproven in "good faith". They purchase these items in fairly large quantities to get the best price point. When something "goes south" the feed back can be relatively slow and the reasons for the failures take time to show up.

Someone buys a Ford F150 and they use it 5 or 6 days a week. They sell them by the hundred thousands per year. Any issues are revealed very rapidly. The RV industry sells perhaps a fraction of that number and they may get used 5 or 6 times a year. Issues are slower to come to light. To use the truck in my example you put gas in it and drive it. Pretty fool proof in the use. An RV get's dragged to the site of use, plugged into a questionable power grid, and many many opportunities exist for misuse from not leveling the trailer to playing hop scotch on the floor. It obviously takes longer for the manufacturer to identify the issues when they arise.

I'm not "taking up for" the RV manufacturers by any means, just pointing out the differences in the industries as so many buy an RV and have the same expectations they have when buying the truck to pull it.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:33 AM   #14
jsb5717

For us the ceiling fan is a big help. We have just one AC (for now) and on hotter days the ceiling fan does a good job moving the cool air around since the AC vents are directly above the fan. YMMV
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #15
purebred

Hit the nail on the head.

You are absolutely correct with your comments. Like I said we really like our alpine and have come to work around problems that come up and try to move on. With the exception to the ceiling fan, bed mattress, key tv, and hide a bed in living room we have grown to really enjoy our rv. My biggest complaint is of the quality of the items they put in the rvs and inability to design something that actually works so the consumer doesn't have to replace them in the process.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You are absolutely correct with your comments. Like I said we really like our alpine and have come to work around problems that come up and try to move on. With the exception to the ceiling fan, bed mattress, key tv, and hide a bed in living room we have grown to really enjoy our rv. My biggest complaint is of the quality of the items they put in the rvs and inability to design something that actually works so the consumer doesn't have to replace them in the process.
The RED comment: If people would start a "petition to increase the sales price of RV's, quality would likely go up" As long as consumers "demand more for less" the manufacturers will provide what sells... There was a time quality was important, but in today's markets for everything from steel to prunes, if inferior crap from a foreign country will work, then avoid using expensive American steel... If we can find plums in Argentina (who cares if child labor is used to harvest them) then ship them to the states, what doesn't sell as plums can be dried and packaged as prunes and sold after they can no longer meet the "fresh produce requirements"....

On to the BLUE comment: If you want to "place blame" on the manufacturers, they are only producing what people are demanding from them. Every day on this forum members complain because they don't have an easy way to connect with mobile wifi. They complain because there's no solar generation capacity, they complain that there's "only one TV" rather than one in the main cabin, one for the kids in a separate room and one in the main bedroom. They complain that there's not enough water capacity or holding tank capacity and at the same time, want to tow a 39' trailer with a half ton Tahoe or F150....

If you really want to know why floors are failing on Hideouts and Passports, look no further than the consumer's demand for longer, lighter RV's filled with everything we have at home that's "half ton towable".....

Even in home building, shortcuts are "demanded by the public and provided by the builders"... Think about crown molding. It started out as an enhancement in more expensive homes to "enhance the ceiling" Now, it's a cheap means to avoid the labor expense required to finish the "plaster job" at the wall/ceiling transition. It's become "OK" to do a shoddy job of leaving the sheetrock unfinished along the ceiling/wall transition and cover it up with a plastic/styrofoam molding that may/may not last until closing.....

I know this doesn't "solve" your limited airflow from a ceiling fan mounted too close to the ceiling, but look at your slides. Would they close if the fan were mounted 18" from the ceiling? Likely not.... If your RV is "new" then look at the brand of appliances in it. If they're no longer Atwood, Suburban or Dometic, do you blame Keystone or Furrion or the public who wants "blue lights to enhance the range burner control knobs???? Really, is a blue light more important than a well functioning stove ??? Think about the current thread calling for "consumer protection monitoring" involvement to observe the glass stove cover issues with the current ranges being installed....

We are, in far too many situations, our "own worst enemy"... Did you negotiate for the best deal on your last trailer sales price? or did you offer the dealer extra money over MSRP for a reliable product ???? We all "want more for less .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm actually glad to have my fan.. is it the best fan in the world... No

But it does help move the air around... and it's one less thing sitting on the table or in the corner..
I agree we have one in our Copper Canyon, does a good job of moving air without blasting a jet stream on you.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #18
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The RED comment: If people would start a "petition to increase the sales price of RV's, quality would likely go up" As long as consumers "demand more for less" the manufacturers will provide what sells... There was a time quality was important, but in today's markets for everything from steel to prunes, if inferior crap from a foreign country will work, then avoid using expensive American steel... If we can find plums in Argentina (who cares if child labor is used to harvest them) then ship them to the states, what doesn't sell as plums can be dried and packaged as prunes and sold after they can no longer meet the "fresh produce requirements"....

On to the BLUE comment: If you want to "place blame" on the manufacturers, they are only producing what people are demanding from them. Every day on this forum members complain because they don't have an easy way to connect with mobile wifi. They complain because there's no solar generation capacity, they complain that there's "only one TV" rather than one in the main cabin, one for the kids in a separate room and one in the main bedroom. They complain that there's not enough water capacity or holding tank capacity and at the same time, want to tow a 39' trailer with a half ton Tahoe or F150....

If you really want to know why floors are failing on Hideouts and Passports, look no further than the consumer's demand for longer, lighter RV's filled with everything we have at home that's "half ton towable".....

Even in home building, shortcuts are "demanded by the public and provided by the builders"... Think about crown molding. It started out as an enhancement in more expensive homes to "enhance the ceiling" Now, it's a cheap means to avoid the labor expense required to finish the "plaster job" at the wall/ceiling transition. It's become "OK" to do a shoddy job of leaving the sheetrock unfinished along the ceiling/wall transition and cover it up with a plastic/styrofoam molding that may/may not last until closing.....

I know this doesn't "solve" your limited airflow from a ceiling fan mounted too close to the ceiling, but look at your slides. Would they close if the fan were mounted 18" from the ceiling? Likely not.... If your RV is "new" then look at the brand of appliances in it. If they're no longer Atwood, Suburban or Dometic, do you blame Keystone or Furrion or the public who wants "blue lights to enhance the range burner control knobs???? Really, is a blue light more important than a well functioning stove ??? Think about the current thread calling for "consumer protection monitoring" involvement to observe the glass stove cover issues with the current ranges being installed....

We are, in far too many situations, our "own worst enemy"... Did you negotiate for the best deal on your last trailer sales price? or did you offer the dealer extra money over MSRP for a reliable product ???? We all "want more for less .....
I don't know , that was a pretty long response to my rant. All I want is a fan that blows air, a mattress that's not hard as a rock, a tv that works most of the time. I would assume for a 70,000 dollar trailer that something as simple as those would be designed to work. My complaints are not against the fancy add ons or such. My complaint is if there going to install a fan in a $70,000 trailer at least make sure it blows air enough to move a feather. If not don't put it in. I wasn't looking for new fangled stuff for this trailer. I was looking for something that works when you turn it on or use it. If I could have bought this trailer with out all the fancy crap in it I would have. But as others here have said about special orders here thats a no no too. And yes I did negotiate for the lowest price and no I sure as heck didn't offer extra for it either.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I don't know , that was a pretty long response to my rant. All I want is a fan that blows air, a mattress that's not hard as a rock, a tv that works most of the time. I would assume for a 70,000 dollar trailer that something as simple as those would be designed to work. My complaints are not against the fancy add ons or such. My complaint is if there going to install a fan in a $70,000 trailer at least make sure it blows air enough to move a feather. If not don't put it in. I wasn't looking for new fangled stuff for this trailer. I was looking for something that works when you turn it on or use it. If I could have bought this trailer with out all the fancy crap in it I would have. But as others here have said about special orders here thats a no no too. And yes I did negotiate for the lowest price and no I sure as heck didn't offer extra for it either.
Back to your fan, is it reversible? When any ceiling fan is run "in reverse" then the air is moved across the ceiling to distribute warm air across the ceiling and down the walls vs blowing the air straight down.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Back to your fan, is it reversible? When any ceiling fan is run "in reverse" then the air is moved across the ceiling to distribute warm air across the ceiling and down the walls vs blowing the air straight down.
The one in my Avalanche has 3 speeds and reverse..

But it will hit the Livingroom slide if I forget to turn it off and run the slide in..

Tags
alpine