Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
Sarge2

I started my "careers" as an Auto Tech then a Service Director... I took great pride in my work and the work my techs completed.. I test drove every car before and after to make sure it was right...
My own sons who learned from me also take pride in their work... Youngest is a Heavy Truck tech and the other son drives big rigs for a living.. I think you are right that work ethics and pride in your work comes from who you learned it from or who planted that into your brain.. for me it was an Old Tech that taught me more than the trade school I attended to get my degree in auto tech and business mgmt. He also had very high standards....
It's very hard for me to imagine working on anyone else's vehicles (or TT's) and not care about it... but it appears that is the norm now...
Right now my biggest concern is what leaks they didn't find (if any) and what other possible damage they caused by the "winterize" they did... $139 bucks is what I paid for the winterize and I only let them do it because it's still under warranty... exactly for the reason that happened... Not being a "seasoned" camper/TT owner, I figured it would be best if they did it... I could have done a far better job myself even with limited knowledge of the process.... Regardless, I am spending a full weekend next week in the TT to make sure there are no other leaks... Hopefully it will be ok but if not I'll deal with General RV... Thanks for the imput and suggestions...
Sarge
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Sarge,

The simplest way to determine if there's a water leak (after the obvious check for wet floors and cupboards) is to purge all the air out of the hot/cold lines, close the faucets and leave the water pump turned on (no city water connected). Sit inside the RV and read a book or take a cat nap for about an hour. If you don't hear the pump cycle on/off, you can pretty much be assured that there's no water leak.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #23
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sarge,

The simplest way to determine if there's a water leak (after the obvious check for wet floors and cupboards) is to purge all the air out of the hot/cold lines, close the faucets and leave the water pump turned on (no city water connected). Sit inside the RV and read a book or take a cat nap for about an hour. If you don't hear the pump cycle on/off, you can pretty much be assured that there's no water leak.
Thanks..... that's what I had planned on doing... but figured I'd double check that all the appliances and such are ok too.... kind of a pre-flight...lol...
Appreciate the suggestion for sure... supposedly all the air has been purged as they allegedly de winterized it so there should be little air in the system I'd hope.. plus they were supposed to check all the water outlets and fittings for leaks after they fixed all the ones they found when they replaced the water pump... We shall see... Thanks again...
Sarge
Old 05-28-2020, 07:15 AM   #24
larryflew

Less blame on the techs and more on the company. Saw it coming in the late 80's. I was a 30+ year tech in HVAC at the time and worked for a company that all of a sudden decided techs where taking too much time on jobs checking equipment after the service was done. Put up with it for 6 months B4 I quit after a LOT of callbacks on minor things that should have been taken care of on the original call. Would have cost the customer about $10 more on the first call instead of $35 on a second call.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #25
Ginnylarry1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
When I had my trailer winterized (due to being in warranty and not wanting anything or anyone to say I failed to winterize it properly) I took my 2020 Passport into Gen RV... this was in Nov of 19 and I had a small leak under the vanity sink that they allegedly fixed as well...
FAST FORWARD TO JANUARY 2020... went to check the trailer and replace the little mouse packets I put in and found Picture 1 and 2 same leak as I had only now is antiFreeze...
FAST FORWARD MAY 8TH.. Took the trailer in to have it made ready for summer and have leak actually repaired... was there until Friday May 18th told it was all done and come and get it...
Got there and write up person took me out and proudly showed me that there was no water from under the vanity... I asked did you DE WINTERIZE IT? since there was antifreeze in the sinks, bathtub and toilet... NOPE... didn't DE Winterize it... So they said they could do it if I wanted to wait... of course I did..because I was still trying to figure out HOW they fixed a water leak without turning on the water...
After 1/2 hour the tech comes in and tells the write up person... Houston, we have a problem... Apparently the tech that "winterized" it .. did a poor job at best and when they put water into the holding tank to flush it... there were leaks all over the place.. Water pump cracked, pex lines broken and fittings popped... After nearly 8 hours they fixed all the "problem" areas, replaced the pump and pressure tested it... The service mgr told me he wasn't going to charge me for the de-winterization... GEE YA THINK?!... so now that I've got it home, I'm going to do my own inspection, put water in the tank and do a camp out for the weekend to make sure that there are no surprises...
Had I just hooked up and pulled it out and not asked about the De winterizing, I would have have found these leaks when I decided to go campiing... I was warned about General RV doing shoddy work but this is inexcusable... So there is my tale of woe...
Sorry it's so long...
Sarge
That sounds like our day! We were checking tire pressure yesterday because we left today for the summer in our 2019 Fuzion. Hubby noticed the spare tire andmountig bracket for it were missing..presumably stolen wile at CW in Ft. Myers because they left it in their yard for 2months for a couple warranty repairs. We got it back mid March, then Covid19 hit and we isolated..just got things opened up so we prepared to leave. CW Ft. Myers said if we had told them about it sooner they “might” have done something, but too much time elapsed. We brought it back fromCW and put it in our 50 x 50 RV garage and it has never been out until today. We called Yarbrough Tire in Sebring and they actually loaned us a tire and rim (235 vs the 255 we needed) but for a spare we wanted to leave. CW in Ft. Myers has done nothing but screw up everything we ever brought to them. Oh yeah, we noticed their security fence was down when we got there to pick it up. They told me yesterday it’s been down for 10 years! Not starting out in a good way, but at least we started out!
Ginnylarry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnylarry1 View Post
That sounds like our day! We were checking tire pressure yesterday because we left today for the summer in our 2019 Fuzion. Hubby noticed the spare tire andmountig bracket for it were missing..presumably stolen wile at CW in Ft. Myers because they left it in their yard for 2months for a couple warranty repairs. We got it back mid March, then Covid19 hit and we isolated..just got things opened up so we prepared to leave. CW Ft. Myers said if we had told them about it sooner they “might” have done something, but too much time elapsed. We brought it back fromCW and put it in our 50 x 50 RV garage and it has never been out until today. We called Yarbrough Tire in Sebring and they actually loaned us a tire and rim (235 vs the 255 we needed) but for a spare we wanted to leave. CW in Ft. Myers has done nothing but screw up everything we ever brought to them. Oh yeah, we noticed their security fence was down when we got there to pick it up. They told me yesterday it’s been down for 10 years! Not starting out in a good way, but at least we started out!
Sorry to hear about the trouble but.... If you get in the habit of connecting the trailer and doing a walk around to check the lights you would have noticed it missing. This isn't to place blame, just to offer advice on good practice for towing anything. Turn on you truck's parking lights or headlights, turn on the 4 way flashers (as they operate on the same wire/bulbs as the turn signals) and walk around the trailer. All clearance lights should be on and the brake lights should be flashing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #27
CaptnJohn

I ran a shop with 1300+ employees in the 90s. Average wages were about $48K average. Add Soc Sec, FICA, life insurance, health insurance, and retirement and the 48 was well into the mid 60s

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Thanks..... that's what I had planned on doing... but figured I'd double check that all the appliances and such are ok too.... kind of a pre-flight...lol...
Appreciate the suggestion for sure... supposedly all the air has been purged as they allegedly de winterized it so there should be little air in the system I'd hope.. plus they were supposed to check all the water outlets and fittings for leaks after they fixed all the ones they found when they replaced the water pump... We shall see... Thanks again...
Sarge
Sarge - we have a 2020 Passport. No water line leaks, but I had a bad drain pipe leak under the fridge, at the side wall, next to the furnace. They (and I) never ran the water enough at PDI to get the water to show itself before it fully soaked the carpet over the wheel well and ran out the side of the camper wall. The drain pipe connection at the wall from the kitchen is sink, headed toward the gray tank, wasn't cut straight at a connection point and then glued in. That crooked cut produced a leak on the bottom of the pipe. I had to cut away about 2" of pipe, slide on a flexible connection and two hose clamps - all fixed and it also allowed the pipe to slightly move back to the natural position it needed to be. Run a ton of water through every sink and the tub, look, listen and watch for water (pull that square cover off the side of the bath tub and look inside too). And some might say to take it to the dealer for warranty work. Well, I've had warranty work done before and it's usually horrible and less quality than the factory to begin with. I'll do it myself and make sure its done right, thank you very much.
Bill-2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:58 AM   #29
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnylarry1 View Post
Yet another example of why you should get a TPMS. We bought 5 sensors with our system. Now I can monitor my tires during travel PLUS I know the spare is present AND that it is inflated and ready for use.

Just a thought...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #30
atkinsb3

Unfortunately an all too common tale. I gave up and just fix it myself vs taking it in.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #31
Sarge2

Spent the weekend "camping" in my driveway...lol... Thankfully it seems that everything is water tight... the new pump is quiet compared to original one... I figured I'd give it all a good lived in test... everything seems to be good.. Thank you Jesus...
Bill 2020/ atkinsb3 sounds like you've got the right idea... if you are mechanical just fix it and then it's done right... sad it has to be that way and I know there has to be tech's out there that take pride in their work but I also know that factories pay zip to do the job right and not cut corners... I worked flat rate for many years and when I got out of the dealership game the factories were cutting flat rate times more and more...
jinnylarry1 sounds like your day wasn't much better.. I have taken the time to get with some friends who are far more experienced TT owners and they have been a great help as have this site... there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum...JRTJH thanks again for the advise... was the way to check it...