Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
Skippy38

Slide Seals

I noticed today that the large flap seals at the top of my kitchen slide have greatly deteriorated. It appears like they have actually melted in the sun and are gooey. Has anyone replaced these? I have no problem replacing them myself, but where can I get them?
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
bobbecky

I got seals for our rig from Trekwood.com
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
Dave W

Trekwood - but be prepared for sticker shock for both the material and shipping!! https://www.trekwood.com/

There are two sizes, 2-5/8" and 2". Measure the 'free' length. The free length, if 2" will measure 2-5/8" overall while the 2-5/8 will be about 3" overall. Both will work as I found after ordering the longer and installing it. You may also need the bulb seal as well and is a separate piece that snaps in a piece of molding and held in place with a screw in each end. It, too is kinda expensive.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Trekwood - but be prepared for sticker shock for both the material and shipping!! https://www.trekwood.com/

There are two sizes, 2-5/8" and 2". Measure the 'free' length. The free length, if 2" will measure 2-5/8" overall while the 2-5/8 will be about 3" overall. Both will work as I found after ordering the longer and installing it. You may also need the bulb seal as well and is a separate piece that snaps in a piece of molding and held in place with a screw in each end. It, too is kinda expensive.
Sticker shock is right! Thanks for the website info...
Old 03-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
bobbecky

The price for new seals, if you are doing the replacement is no where near as high if you have to have a dealer or shop replace them. Once you figure out how they are attached and how to remove and replace them, the job isn't really that hard.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Logan X

Just out of curiosity, did some sort of petroleum product make contact with the rubber seals? It seems a little odd the seals would become gooey. I know some petroleum based products can rapidly deteriorate rubber and make it gooey.

Just wondering...
I hope your repair goes smoothly.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #7
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Just out of curiosity, did some sort of petroleum product make contact with the rubber seals? It seems a little odd the seals would become gooey. I know some petroleum based products can rapidly deteriorate rubber and make it gooey.

Just wondering...
I hope your repair goes smoothly.
For whatever reason, out of 4 slides, only one of ours turned gooey and failed and I can assure you that nothing but 303 Protectant ever touched it and that was not very often. The other 3 seals are just like they were when new.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Logan X

Quote:
For whatever reason, out of 4 slides, only one of ours turned gooey and failed and I can assure you that nothing but 303 Protectant ever touched it and that was not very often. The other 3 seals are just like they were when new.
Yeah, that’s weird it only happened on on slide
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Yeah, that’s weird it only happened on on slide
Who knows where Keystone stored that seal or the age. It may have been at the bottom pf a pile that finally got reached. I discovered it was bad when I installed toppers last spring so made sure to give the other seals a good check. It was on the shortest 7' slide, not the 13 foot LR slide.

Replaxing them is easy tho the wallet pain for 8 feet of seal plus exorbitant shipping hurt a bit.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
bobbecky

We were parked with the drivers side facing south for over a year and the bulb seal is n the passenger side and the flap seals on the drivers side all turned soft and sticky and had only had a couple applications of the silicone seal conditioner. It was strictly exposure to intense sunlight that destroyed the seals. I eventually had to replace all the flap seals and the bulb seals due to age and exposure.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We were parked with the drivers side facing south for over a year and the bulb seal is n the passenger side and the flap seals on the drivers side all turned soft and sticky and had only had a couple applications of the silicone seal conditioner. It was strictly exposure to intense sunlight that destroyed the seals. I eventually had to replace all the flap seals and the bulb seals due to age and exposure.
That is exactly what is happening to mine. It is always parked with that slide facing south...
Old 03-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
travelin texans

Check with your local RV supply store, the shipping from Trekwood is unbelievable.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #13
bobbecky

This is the last order I made from Trekwood for both the flap seal and the bulb seal. Don't know why, but the total for the wiper seal ended up just below the word 'Products'. I would much rather pay for the shipping than have to chase around trying to find these seals. No fuel burned and even though I'm retired, my time is still valuable. I've paid a lot more shipping for other things than this, so knowing they have the proper item in stock and will ship it to you is worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seals order.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	25756  
Old 03-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #14
Alpine

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0.../dp/B077Y3QPVC

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
;Probably not correct for a Keystone product without a peel 'n' stck fit (yes, you need screws too)
Old 03-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #16
Alpine

Quote:
;Probably not correct for a Keystone product without a peel 'n' stck fit (yes, you need screws too)
The only reason I sent this link is because this is exactly the replacement part for my Keystone Alpine 3450RL. The wiper seal has a screw at each end, remove and pull off the wiper. The new wiper slips right into place, replace the two screws, one at each end. I was done in less than fifteen minutes. With out the original poster sending a photo.…….

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #17
dadnjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Check with your local RV supply store, the shipping from Trekwood is unbelievable.
I used to buy from TrekWood but found my dealer can get stuff cheaper. And the last time I ordered from them they told me it would be 15 day's before it would be in stock, so I cancelled my order and they charged me 15% restocking fee for an item that was never shipped. That was the last time I will order from them.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #18
tubacjohn

Black Trim Accents and the Arizona SUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I noticed today that the large flap seals at the top of my kitchen slide have greatly deteriorated. It appears like they have actually melted in the sun and are gooey. Has anyone replaced these? I have no problem replacing them myself, but where can I get them?
The living room slide seal on my 2014 Montana 3402 did the same after 3 years. It was the only seal that did it and the longest one. It was like black sticky tar! Was replaced on extended warranty. Seals were covered.
My observations. Montana 3402rl is white with black trim colors. The portion of the slide out that is over the seal area is BLACK trimmed. It faces the South. I live in southern Arizona. Sun shines daily on that all year. That would be the hottest area on the surface of the trailer. The slide is also closed when stored in this position. Probably could cook a panini in that seal area! Also any ozone in the atmosphere would encourage degradation of the rubber.
Funny that the last strip on my 16 foot awning was also black. I noticed that it is starting to show pinholes of daylight through the vinyl. It is also on the South facing side! I masked the last 8 inches of the strip and sprayed it with white "Great Stuff" Took two cans! Seems to be holding. Never again would I have an RV with Black accents. Even the AC covers are BLACK. Will be spraying them white If I can't sell the 5er! JOHN
tubacjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide