View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Tac

A german camper needs a little help

Hello everybody

As the title shows, i'm a german.

We are passionate campers, since the last 15 years. And now its time to change our travel trailer. (Its hard to leave a family member)
So we look around on the german market for a new or new-used one.
But the space inside is always pretty limited in cause of the 98inch maximum exterior width. And slideouts are really not normal here in europe. So we decide to look over the big pond and see what is there.
At our last holiday a few meters away was an elderly pair which had a really hugh 45feet fifth wheel on a regular 18t prime mover.
We had a little conversation and the man said, they would never do it again and buy a fifth wheel without any deeper information. They just bought the biggest fifth wheel they found and shipped it to germany. After they had it here, they couldn't find a suitable towing vehicle for their normal car licenses, so they needed to buy the regular scania prime mover, and make a truck license. And now he drives the RV combination and his wife drives their car behind to keep them mobile at the places. Of course a normal prime mover is just to big to move around.

But a US fifth wheel with its slideouts etc would be really nice, we think.
Of course we don't want to make the same misstakes.

What we need is a 2+2 concept and we think the Montana High Country 343RL would fit us really good.
And all prices in the usa are really cheap for us here in germany.
For example, a 25feet travel trailer with good features and options here in germany is around 65000$. And the Volkswagen Passat Variant TDI we are driving had a listprice of about 75000$.
And we have the 7715lbs GVWR hardcap for vehicles. If its lighter, its a car, if its heavier, its a truck, with all of its negativ effects. Speedlimit, road permissions, limited driving time per day, etc.

So i went to our TÜV and see what we can do and what we can do not.
And we found a solution.
We have to find a towing vehicle, which need this properties.
First: As light as possible, for the payload.
Second: It must have a empty weight (curb weight?) with all options, liquids and features under 6900lbs. We have the hardcap of 7715lbs minus ~800lbs for 4 passengers. Than i can limit it to the 7715lbs GVWR and get a registration as a car.
Third: It should handle the 343RL. GVWR of the towing vehicle, doesn't matter this time, because we, the TÜV and i, have found a trick. A Vehicle can get multiple registrations here in germany. The first registration would be car without road permissions, speedlimits etc. The second registration would be a RV. The RV can be heavier than 7715lbs, has no driving time regulation and no normal road permissions, it just has a speedlimit, but a trailer towing vehicle has the same speedlimit.
So, if i attach the Fifth wheel to the towing vehicle the hole combination is one RV. If i detach the Fifth wheel, the towing vehicle is a car again.
But towing vehicle and fifth wheel must have a connected braking system, hydraulic or air.

The german overengineering is sometimes really hard to beat.

And the towing vehicle should not be much longer than 236inch, because of the driveability on german streets and in german towns. Its all a little bit smaller than in the usa.

What would be a good towing vehicle under this conditions. 2+2 Seating, 6900lbs empty weight, and 236inch length?

Of course a have already searched for one. A F150 SuperCap 6 3/4 Box Ecoboost with HD Payload package (4800lbs rear axle) and max. Trailertow package would matches good. I can increase the GVWR here in germany from 8200lbs to ~8500lbs. But can it tow the 343RL?

And i have some other questions about the 343RL.
Has it Discbrakes? Drumbrakes are not street legal in germany anymore.
Is it possible to convert it to 17.5inch rims? The 235/80R16E are not buyable in germany. Tires in this dimensions don't have a Loadindex of 3042lbs like the E rated tires.
What is the loaded hitch weight of the 343RL?
Has the 343RL a special point on its roof for a autotracking satelitedish and Solarcells?
Acept Keystone specialorders? It would be much easier for us, if keystone could directly built in a german electricity. Normal 230V 50Hz 16A. And electricity inlet 400V 50Hz 32A 3-phase-current.

Hope you can help me a little bit or more.

Greetings

Tac
Tac is offline   Reply With Quote