View Single Post
Old 06-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #15
oldnjrver

If I were you:
I would first decide what type of camping I would use the generator for and my budget.

Secondly I would look at how you use power when camping. You obviously want to do more than just charge your batteries.
If you're in Arizona during the summer you will need more power for the AC units than in NJ. You may not need the full 50 amps.

Third decide how you will deal with the weight of loading/unloading the generator. Two smaller generators can be easier to load but It can be a pain hooking up two generators in parallel, and refueling them as I found out. Covering them when it rained was a nuisance as well.

I originally selected two 2000 watt Champion generators to run in parallel for my 30 amp service because they only weighed 40 lbs each, and they worked very well with load management.. I would run my 13500 btu AC with no problem but it bogged down when I used anything that drew any power like the microwave... The other problem was that they would only run 6 hours or so before having to be refueled.

I ended up dumping them and getting an Onan 4500i inverter generator. It runs everything, with minimal load management, for over 10 hours between refueling and I can lift it high enough to load onto my front hitch carrier.

It all comes down to deciding what you want/need to do when camping and selecting the right tool for the job.

Safe travels and all the best.
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote