View Single Post
Old 05-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #14
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The OP didn't ask for a solution, he asked for a "50 amp quiet generator to use on the road"

Reading into his post and interpreting what he actually said, leads one to believe that he is not familiar with generators and maybe not with RV's. Asking for a 50 amp quiet generator is asking for something very similar to a 16KW GENERAC home standby system. So, stating, "The Onan on board is 5500 and can run the whole trailer." without any "qualifying limitations" is not what someone who is not well versed in RV generator use can easily misinterpret. I can't begin to list all the threads on this forum that ask why their air conditioner stopped working after being used on a "too small generator" and burned up the compressor. So, yes, you CAN run an RV on a 5500 watt generator, but not without careful planning for HOW much stuff you run off that generator. It's not a "like shore power" condition.....

And, if you're serious about wanting a 12000 watt onboard generator, Onan does make several models. In fact, they are standard equipment in many diesel pusher motorhome. Here's the link for the 12.5KW QD Onan RV generator. Only "downside" is that it weighs 770 pounds and requires diesel fuel. But, they do exist, if you've got enough money and payload: https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qd-12500
I actually never said it would be “like shore power”. But then again I assumed they had a slight understanding of RV’s and basic knowledge of power limits.
So no you can’t run “the whole trailer” meaning every AC, appliance, heater, fryers, the wife’s hair dryer and flat iron, air compressors and a welder at the same time.
So to be clear. There are limits to what you can power simultaneously.
Again. If you dry camp you learn those limits pretty quick.

Anyways. To get back to the OPs questions.
Do you have a “suggestion”? (Sorry for using the word solution).