View Single Post
Old 12-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #22
youngb

Bike rack on rear bumper

I know no one is going to agree with me but we have been carrying two ebikes 75 pounds each on the back or our cougar 5th wheel for years with no issues. We bolted on a 2 inch receiver rated at 300 pounds onto the rear bumper. If you think the bumper can't handle the weight of the receiver I would beg to differ on this. The key is to use a receiver that also has a bolt lock down that prevents the 2 inch receiver from jiggling around. We also use rachet tie downs on the outside ends of the bike rack attached to hooks I fastened to the trailer about 4 feet above the bumper. These help take some of the weight not much but stabilize the bikes from moving around and keep the rack stable. The bumper can take the weight in my opinion in fact we put the bike rack on the back bumper and had two men myself and a friend stand on the bike rack (over 400 pounds) and jumping up and down we saw no flex in the bumper. Anyway each to their own opinion but we have been travelling around for years this way with no issues and yes we inspect the welds on the bumper regularly and see no signs of stress. We also monitor the bikes when travelling with our rear view camera. Our friends that travel with us tell us when behind us the bikes do not move or bounce around and are solidly in place. One last thing we alos take the batteries out of the bikes when travelling to reduce the weight.
youngb is offline   Reply With Quote