View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrusty View Post
Hi All,
Have an odd situation with trailer tires. First, this is not my travel trailer but rather a covered trailer I use to haul various things. (Think uhaul style.) A friend that uses my trailer occasionally decided to surprise me by putting new tires on it. Honestly I don't even know what was on it in the first place. Had this trailer long before I got educated on this site about the quality of various tires.
So, I now have a trailer that has two maxxis, one carlisle, and one trailer king tire. How's that for a set? I am of course going to replace the trailer king but should I have any concern about the mismatch of the others. I checked and the other three all call for the same tire pressure of 50 psi. (Trailer king calls for 65psi, by the way.)
I do load this trailer close to max load sometimes and make hauls for several hundred miles. Thanks for any help or suggestions. I also appreciate your indulgence for a slightly of topic post.
You have opened a "can of worms" on a number of different tire industry standards. Let's consider the speed ratings. I have never found a Maxxis trailer tire with a speed rating. Therefore, without a speed letter or printing of some sort on the individual tire of a speed rating, all Maxxis trailer tires default to the TRA established 65 MPH, for all trailer tires without manufacturer approved speed letters molded onto the tire sidewalls.

This is a tire designated size; ST205/75R14, nothing more or less. Brands have no bearing on load capacity.

Here is an excerpt from a USTMA standards manual;

"Replacement tires should be the same as the OE size
designation, or approved options, as recommended by the
vehicle or tire manufacturer. Never choose a replacement
tire of a smaller size or with less load-carrying capacity than
the OE tire size at the specified vehicle tire placard pressure.
Under certain circumstances, a vehicle manufacturer
may recommend or permit a specific substitute tire size,
inflation pressure, maximum speed, maximum load, etc. It is
recommended that all four tires be of the same size, speed
rating, and construction (radial, non-radial)".

As said in the previous post, you need to verify the Original Equipment tire size that is displayed on the vehicle federal certification label, tire load and inflation placard and explained in the vehicle owner's manual.

Trailer tires - all sorts of trailers - are fitted to the vehicle's certified GAWRs. That's the GVWR minus the vehicle manufacturer's published tongue weight.

Note: There is no restriction for using that Trailer King tire with the other three providing that it is the same designated size and inflated to 50 PSI.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote