View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
Bill-2020

Slide Topper and a Schwintek Alignment Problem

Anyone have/had problems with a Schwintek slide (small wardrobe slide) after installing a topper?

This weekend I installed a Solera Slide Topper (newer series they call 5000). Right after the install the slide sounded much different while going in. I had to retime it because I thought this one time I only had it partially out to do the install it got off alignment. I tried retiming the slide with the topper on it was only getting worse as I tried. The normally smooth movement of the slide while going in was beginning to get a little jerky during the last 8 inches or so (slide is only 16" in depth).

I had noticed that the topper was very taught and there was a lot of tension left when the slide was in. I removed the topper and realigned the slide with only a few in and out movements. The jerky slide was back to normal and I closed things up for the day on Saturday.

Come sunrise today, and after a 12 round fight with the Christmas lights on the house, I resumed the topper issue around noon. I unwrapped the topper by about two more wraps and reinstalled it thinking that would eliminate some of the tightness in it. Well, that still made the slide jerky and took it out of alignment about an inch or so. I removed the topper again, realigned and verified it worked properly. This time I let out about half of the spring tension, reinstalled it and everything works as it should. The slide stays aligned properly and the slide looks and sounds normal as it did without the topper pulling it in.

I read and watched many videos on these Solera toppers and how to install them before I purchased the two of them (one short schwardrobe and one living/refig cable slide) Not one video cautioned the watcher about a slide topper pulling so hard that it would cause this type of problem. Overtight topper or is a Schwintek just that sensitive to additional pull at the top edge from a topper?