View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #20
cdotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkertexasranger View Post
Got it figured out. Removed the weight distribution bars putting all the weight on the truck and all swaying stopped. I will still be adding the Reese friction sway controller as a safety net. Thanks for the advice.
If taking the weight distribution bars off fixed your issue, and in such condition the truck and trailer are both level, this is an easy fix.

You need more tongue weight.

Your trailer is listed at 7200lbs dry, 9600 gross. You should always have 10%-15% of trailer weight on your hitch. Adding 720-1000 lbs to your trailer ball will definitely look loaded, and that's at your dry weight. If you have sway increase tongue weight until it goes away.

I have a much smaller trailer (2015 1800BH) but I too run a Pro Series WDH. I never use the friction sway bar anymore because it just doesn't make a difference, nor do I have sway as there just isn't much room for gear behind the trailer axle. There are different sizes of WDH setup with their own tongue/trailer weight capacity and your hitch should be sized for over your trailer GVWR.

Setting your hitch up to pull well with an "empty" trailer as your earlier message indicated is an exercise in futility. Load the camper the way you intend to pull it and then set the hitch up. If you're empty make sure most of your gear goes in front of your trailer axles. Your truck with that size trailer should sag visibly before installing the WDH bars and be level afterward.
cdotson is offline   Reply With Quote