View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The floor of the front bay on our Cougar is a relatively thin sheet metal slab. It would not support the BAL stabilizer bars that I installed (similar to the strongarm system). So I cut a piece of 90 degree angle iron with 3" sides to fit under the trailer and then a piece of 3" flat steel bar on the inside of the floor. I drilled those pieces and bolted them into place using the brackets and the steel plate with the same holes. The vertical side of the angle iron serves as a reinforcement to prevent the plate from bending under pressure from the BAL stabilizer bar brackets.

If your strongarm system allows for a "horizontal mount" to the underside of the floor, you could do the same, and if your brackets require a vertical surface to mount the brackets, you could use the vertical part of the angle iron strip. But I'd recommend using angle iron under the trailer, just to provide a stronger surface that won't bend under pressure from walking around inside the trailer.

Here's a couple of photos of what I did. Maybe it'll give you some ideas on how to incorporate that into your system. And, don't be surprised when you start digging around under the front of the trailer and discover that the underhang on the front wall (under the access door) is luan wallboard and 2x2 clear pine framing. I sprayed all of mine with truck undercoating and it's holding up well, given what how it was built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	39836   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	39837   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 3.jpg
Views:	63