View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #20
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
In general, I would consider steel body tires, like many Sailun items, "Commercial" grade, be they LT or ST type and as such I would expect them to perform better than lighter duty tires (both ST & LT type).

A problem with "reports" of failures is that almost no owners have the knowledge or training necessary to properly identify the real cause for failure. So while there may be a dozen reports of "Blowouts", there could be a dozen different root cause reasons. Some might even not be tire related cause but valve or wheel failure or pothole or 10d nail through the sidewall.

RE quality. All tires sold in the US are required to be certified by the manufacturer to be capable of passing Federal Regulations. If tires do not pass a test (random selection by DOT) or if there are sufficient complaints to get the attention of NHTSA they might initiate an investigation. If it is found that tires do not pass the required testing then a recall might be ordered and recalls would include all tires made since the last tire that passed the test was made. This could be many thousand tires. There are also fines. So this is something tire companies really do not want to have happened.

I have written a number of times on my blog about "China" tires and how I disagree with the concept which I liken to claiming that RVs made in Indiana are bad because most of the complaints or problem reports are about RVs built in Indiana.
Wasn't this failure the type that is called a zipper failure, which is a failure of the structure of the casing. And Roger I will disagree with you your china tire view. History going back to mid 2000's with Kenda ST's, Mission ST's and so many other shows that these tires particularly on larger trailers were just not up to the task assigned to them.

When we bought a 2019 Laredo 225MK it had Goodride ST's. I told the dealer that I was going straight to the tire shop to put GY Endurance tires on it. He said run it for the first year with the Goodride's. I rejected that advice, however it shows how much confidence even this dealer had in the tires that came OEM. Chris