View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryi View Post
Last night I went to move the FW to do some maintenance before an upcoming trip. Its a FR Salem Hemisphere 370BL that is one year old now and we've put approx. 3000 miles on it so relatively young OEM CastleRockST tires. I live in SC and we've seen several days at 100 degrees so its warm. I am a believer in tire maintenance so I always check pressures before trips.

I went to pull the chock blocks and see the tire flat. Oh darn.... I look further and see the belts shooting out of the tire. What jerk vandalized my tire? Then I realize no way slashing a tire is going to push the steel belts outward. We took the trailer to Key West back in March and its been parked since. Only thing I can think is that it exploded in the heat??

I'm a believer in China bombs now especially since I wasn't even driving on it. Ordered 5 new Carlisle Radial Trail HDs based on positive comments and rim compatibility and cost today.

OEM tires beware!! I think i'll even get the tire covers for while its sitting to keep the sun off them as well.

We've always used tire covers when the trailer will be exposed to the elements for any length of time. I always used light colors. Something that I never thought of and was mentioned by Tireman is using the lighter color on the spare. The OEM was black and when it "blew away" I replaced it with black because it matched the trailer- I just wasn't thinking. It now has a light tan cover to minimize the heat and degradation of the spare.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote