View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 08:00 AM   #14
GlasNav

Gearbox follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon900pilot View Post
Within the topic, an additional bit of advice over and above how to treat seals.

The gearboxes are under substantial operational stress. All three of mine were shot after three years of use, 10 camping trips a year. I took one apart after it failed and found very little lubricant inside. The gears were worn from play in the upper and lower gear shaft bushings. Bad design, bad lubrication.

Before installing the new motor, gear assemblies I drilled and tapped grease fittings on top. Now I routinely add a quality grease to the gearbox. It’s been five years and my slides operate as new. Virtually no drag, hopping or groaning as they operate. Bind up a gear and that starts the whirlwind of issues, and most RV mechanics breeze by this issue. Of course, keeping tracks or cables clean and or adjusted is important.

Thank you for this advice. Look at how compact this single gearbox is (picture), where were you able to add the grease fitting? Your equipment is possibly larger. However, I'm always interested in preventive maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7556.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	44017  

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote