View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 07:37 AM   #13
Falcon900pilot

Within the topic, an additional bit of advice over and above how to treat seals.

The gearboxes are under substantial operational stress. All three of mine were shot after three years of use, 10 camping trips a year. I took one apart after it failed and found very little lubricant inside. The gears were worn from play in the upper and lower gear shaft bushings. Bad design, bad lubrication.

Before installing the new motor, gear assemblies I drilled and tapped grease fittings on top. Now I routinely add a quality grease to the gearbox. It’s been five years and my slides operate as new. Virtually no drag, hopping or groaning as they operate. Bind up a gear and that starts the whirlwind of issues, and most RV mechanics breeze by this issue. Of course, keeping tracks or cables clean and or adjusted is important.
Former military pilot, now flying charter and privately in my Beechcraft G36. Electrical / Mechanical Engineer by education. Tow my 38’ Keystone Montana High Country with my Ford F250 Super Duty. Visit several campgrounds a year. Have encountered just about every issue you could imagine with the trailer, often repairing on site.
Falcon900pilot is offline   Reply With Quote