View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals 123 View Post
Hello all, first off let me state CLEARLY that I have zero knowledge or skills when it comes to electrical systems. Having that out of the way, I have a question about Solar panels to charge batteries and run basic items in the RV.

I have a 2019 29RKS and it came with the Solar connection option. I camp often on a riverbank with no power available and I need to replace my generator so I thought I might explore the idea of Solar panel (s) as well. I was just at my dealer and they said that to install a decent solar system, I would be looking at $4-5K!!!

Any (simple) replies with ideas welcome - how to best proceed?

Thanks in advance,
Alan
If $4,000 scares you from getting your “feet wet”, then you can forget thinking about panels, wiring, lithium batteries, solar controller, inverter and an assortment of other parts to link everything. For $2,500 you could build a do it yourself system using low end lithium batteries and doing all the labor yourself. I have a 5.6KW system that cost me 2 grand 2 years ago. If the money factor is a deal breaker, consider a new generator (which you admit you need), and replace your lead acid batteries with a couple of 100 amp Chin brand batteries from Amazon ($320 each) and call it good. Others will chime in and express more ideas, but this is a decent bang for the buck. For a newbie I’m not urging you to try something more elaborate. Adding a small inverter could allow a tv to be used at night for a few hours.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote