Thread: Towing Question
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

I have no experience with the Blue Ox but I've read some good comments about it and, from your description of your original hitch, you needed an upgrade.

You are experiencing the typical issues from using a 1/2 ton truck with a larger trailer. The hitch will help but always bear in mind that the 1/2 ton is meant primarily as a comfortable grocery getter and "light" hauler of some 2x4s, plywood, washing machine etc. Not a lot of weight strapped on the back of the frame that subjects the truck to all kinds of pushes, pulls, shoves and twists. The primary purpose listed above is why they come with light duty springs, shocks, tires, ring and pinon, axles, u joints etc. etc.

Replacing the WDH/sway is a start but researching your vehicle I didn't see any option for a tire upgrade; they are all P rated tires (passenger). That in and of itself will allow the push/pull because the softer sidewalls flex and allow the truck to "slide" left and right when subjected to the push/pull of trucks, wind etc. They need to be LTs. Springs are softer so they will allow the same thing. It doesn't make a lot of sense to try to replace the springs on a new truck but I would put in a set of air bags. It won't increase the payload but it will "stiffen" the movement of the body/axle and minimize just one more weak spot. The shocks are "soft" as well so going to the grocery store is "comfortable" - not stiff to minimize body roll and sway. Replace them with a heavy duty shock; I use/used Bilsteins.

BTW, I did all of the above on my last 1 year old 1/2 ton and it helped. If a different truck is out of the question then I would recommend all of the above and hopefully it can make the towing experience more bearable. Ultimately the cure for me was an HD truck....and it has been a night and day towing difference. In your case, your trailer is lighter and shorter than mine so the above mods might make enough improvement to live with.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote