Thread: Towing Question
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 08:50 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
That actually might be one of the best examples I've heard. Most of us don't have the opportunity to experience that graphic of a comparison. Most don't have 2 TV's lying around. We typically are comparing our complete set ups with someone elses so there are always variables which make some question conventional wisdom and experience.
The F250 supercab long bed diesel had a wheelbase of 155". The Bronco wheelbase was 105". That extra 50" made all the difference in the world when towing our HR 35' travel trailer. The only thing changed out was the tow vehicle. The trailer loading was never changed, the weight distribution hitch was "essentially the same" as both vehicle receivers were the same height, so the WD bars and chains were "set up in the same chain length". I'd guess, about as close as possible to "identical trailer behind the two vehicles"....

Granted, the Bronco was "overloaded" by the trailer weight rating, but using "the internet logic" that it sat level so it must be OK without airbags, well, you get the picture...

Every time I got above about 50MPH, the back of the trailer would start to whip a bit, any (and I mean ANY) correction on the steering wheel would immediately cause the trailer to swing at least a full lane width in both directions and put the front of the Bronco in a "crisis overcorrection mode"... It was almost like I was driving on ice but still had traction. Definitely not the kind of towing experience that inspires "confidence and a desire to go faster".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote