View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Thanks John - I'll take your word regarding Keystone trailers. However, "flipping the axles" is quite common with utility trailers, tent trailers, etc. in an attempt to gain ground clearance. That's probably where the previous poster came up with "Just flip the axle and be done with it."

The point I was trying to convey to that previous post is that ANY trailer with a designed axle system (Dexter, LCI, etc.) can not simply be flipped upside down and used that way because it screws up the design geometry of the system.
I completely agree with your statement about "flipping" the axle geometry. Axle tubes are "bent in a curve" and that camber is required so that when loaded, the wheels sit "perpendicular to the ground". In other words, so the tires will sit flat on the pavement... You're correct in the way "axle systems are designed" and the axles can not be "turned upside down to gain height"...

That said, "years ago" RV's were built with springs under the axles (similar to the way many utility trailers are currently built)... Many of those older RV's sat very close to the ground and typically there was only a 1 step entry staircase. Today's trailers typically already have "springs on top of the axles", 3 or 4 step entry staircases and flat floor slides with "NO wheelwells intruding inside the cabin".... That's the "hallmark of modern RV's"... flat floors, no "wheelwell bump with a sofa built on top of it" and "extremely high interior floors, when compared to the ground outside... In some cases with larger toyhaulers, there's 5 steps to the ground...

The point I was making is that on the OP's trailer, the "axles are already flipped" (meaning the springs are mounted on top of the axles)...

In the past 10 years, people have argued about "how to jack a trailer". Is it by the U bolts under the axles or is it by the frame... In years past (more than 10 years ago), there was no discussion because nearly all the springs were under the axles and we all jacked on the springs, not the axles.... Not so on today's trailers. All the springs are on top of the axles and we "argue about whether it's safe to jack on the axle tube, the U bolts or the frame rails 24-36" above the ground....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote