View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 05:33 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Typically, a "RV rear wall ladder" is two aluminum rails with plastic rungs. Over time, UV from sunlight will damage the plastic rungs. I've seen ladders that were 2 or 3 years old with rungs that would shatter into pieces if tapped with a hammer. There's NO WAY they would support a 200 pound man.

Also, remember that RV ladders typically have a weight limit of 200-250 pounds. THAT IS THE LADDER LOAD LIMIT and is NOT the installation load limit. Depending on how the ladder is attached to the trailer and what has been "strapped to the ladder for transport during towing" the ladder may be pulled off the mounts with as little as 30 or 40 pounds of weight.

Trailers, especially those with TPO roofs, have a long history of water intrusion that either severely damages or even destroys the trailer in the area of the leak. I'd NEVER recommend that someone "poke holes in their TPO roof to add a ladder. Doing so can only increase the possibility of trailer damage from water leaks.

A "stand alone ladder" is a better choice for a number of reasons.

1. Stand alone ladders are less expensive
2. Stand alone ladders usually have a higher load capacity.
3. Stand alone ladder do not have the potential to damage the trailer by water leaks.
4. Stand alone ladders are usually more versatile then RV ladders.
5. Stand alone ladders are safer than RV ladders. (you can lean them further away from the trailer and not have to climb a vertical ladder.
6. If your body weight is "near or at" the RV ladder load limit, you can't carry anything up the ladder with you, which is almost impossible with a vertical mounted ladder, anyway).

The ladder on my 2002 has all aluminum steps and hand rails. The weak point were the screws that retained it and I had to replace all of them with stainless as they rusted so badly the heads popped on enough of them I wasn't comfortable about the ladder holding if I used it. The ladder rails are too close and the first step too high to make the ladder something I would use regularly so I bought a telescoping ladder 12.5'.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote