View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #21
Folkie

Thanks uechikid for your OP. I've been having the same issue with my 2020 Cougar 22RBS and assumed it was just me. We haven't had it long enough to use it much and the issue seemed random when it occurred. I always lube the ball before each trip so I think the times we had the issue is when the coupler is under compression like when we back into our driveway or the camp site isn't level. Then the truck is in park with the brake on and the camper is chocked. Bouncing on the bumper doesn't always work but when it does it usually scares the s**t out of me because I think the coupler is going to hit me or the truck (never really gets close). If I have to move the truck slightly then my wife gets upset when camper pops off. Lesson learned: Don't run the tongue jack up so high that the truck is getting lifted more than an inch or so by the ball.
Just went out to wipe the grease off the ball and it appears to have a smooth transition from the shank to the ball. Inspection of the coupler revealed that it was rusted inside and and felt pitted (maybe galled from fabrication?). I wiped all the grease off then hit it with some sand paper. Sprayed it out with WD-40 wiped it clean then buffed it shinny with a wire brush on my drill and cleaned it again. Made sure it was smooth to the touch and greased it with ball grease. I'll have to pay more attention to this maintenance in the future. Don't know if this was a factor or not. We are taking a short trip this weekend so I'll let you know if I see any improvement.
Folkie is offline   Reply With Quote