View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Well, here goes...

My thoughts, after 30 yrs of RVing and 7 yrs of working on them.

Outside kitchen: very popular, but a whole new set of issues to deal with. I see delimitation on wood/composite counters, compartment doors leak, plumbing that leaks and sinks that drain onto the ground not a holding tank.

I carry a Camp Chef 3 burner stove with a cast iron griddle and a dedicated 30lb propane cylinder, I only cook inside if the weather dictates.

Exit door in the bathroom: rare so it will severely limit your choices. Two separate entrances/exits is more common and you might want to look for that feature more than a specific bathroom exit.

Bunk/bed separated by a door: not that common as it seems all the manufacturers like to use curtains. You can get a separate bedroom in a bigger fifth wheel.

IMO fifth wheels tow easier, track better (no sway) and can be turned sharper with the right truck. I’ve done without a full bed since my first fiver in ‘89, you get used to it. I did carry a 3500W gen and the “top box” of my tool box across the US twice, so you don’t lose all the space.

Solar prep: unless it’s new, most solar prep is for a small (10W) system, solar is easy to install and a PM to yours truly can go a long way.

Slideout: as long as it ISNT cable, the other types are extremely reliable. Cable isn’t the evil it’s made out to be by some, but it takes some extra work to keep it operating correctly.

Hope I’ve given you a starting point, feel free to PM me with any concerns or questions. I’m not the expert by far, but I can say I have been exposed to more than my share of brands and issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote