View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To me, based on the photos posted, this is probably condensation from "shower steam" condensing on the colder vent lid. It doesn't look like the typical "roof leak" but rather condensation.

There is a "ton" (not literally but figuratively) water inside an RV when humans live in it full time. With two people inside, just breathing introduces about 2 gallons of moisture into the air, add showers, cooking, any pets breathing and it's easy to visualize water condensing on anything cold, especially the windows, roof vents, and more "hazardly" behind any cushions/mattresses that touch an outer wall. I'd suspect that if you pull the head of the mattress away from the wall, you'll find it's also damp, maybe even wet, where it sits against the trailer outer wall. If you've got a dinette booth, the cushion edges that touch the outer wall are also likely to be wet as is the area behind the sofa. Look inside cabinets that are mounted on the outer walls and you may even find moisture or "condensation stains" on the back walls of those cabinets.

What to do? Either get a humidifier or stop breathing and cooking..... Yeah, one is kind of hard to do. The alternative is to leave the bathroom vent open and turn on the fan when showering, endure the "cold rush of air on naked, wet skin" and try to keep the interior air moving.

We have vent covers on all our vents, open the bathroom vent about 1/2" all the time and also crack a window in the rear kitchen to set up some fresh air circulation. We NEVER shower or cook without the bathroom vent fan on and when cooking, we also always turn on the range hood vent fan. Even with that much ventilation, we still have some condensation on windows on really cold evenings and almost always wake up to condensation on them.

Installing vent covers right now with snow on the roof may be difficult, but opening a roof vent to allow "fan forced moisture" to escape (or be pushed out of) the bathroom is the key to what you see in those photos.

I don't think it's a leak, rather it's water from your showers.
Thanks, I dod find some dicor self leveling at the rv shop nearby. I noticed when I was in the stall inspecting earlier, there's a 1/2" seam around the inside of the actual vent that has some loose spots. Not sure if this dicor is what I need to fix that, but i bought some anyways. I'll work on it this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote