View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Several things strike me from those photos:

As was observed, no wdh/sway.

Although the TV is an Armada, they are not built as a tow vehicle and would struggle IMO under the best of circumstances; to put a fair sized trailer on the back of one without the benefit of a wdh or sway control just makes one scratch their head.

The road doesn't look that bad if one is driving properly. Looks like the snow/slush is pretty well worn off or graded and it looks wet, not dull as if frozen. Now, if you let the SUV or trailer get off in the muck on the sides, especially with no sway control, you will get what you get.

This situation (pics) illustrate why we stress, repeatedly, about towing properly within weights to keep yourself, your family and others safe. When this episode started there was NOTHING the driver of the TV was going to do to save the situation, or, that family coming up behind them that could have run into them while they're doing a 180 in the middle of the highway. You have to take care of business all the time.

Of course, another cause of this could have been the driver constantly worrying with their smartphone and didn't have time to actually pay attention to driving - which seems to be happening with more and more frequency. As a note; ran into our closest little town this morning for breakfast (about 15 miles). On the return trip got behind an older Ford Expedition with a woman (late 20s or so) driving.....very erratically. I followed her for miles at 35-45 (45 speed limit) then a few miles at 55-60 (speed limit 55). During that entire trip I would bet her eyes were not on the road for more that 5 minutes total. She was working her smartphone - I watched her in her left rear view mirror the entire way. She sat well into 2 green lights because she just wasn't looking. I was going to honk but was worried she would just jump off without looking and hit something. Finally decided to pass before she hit the brakes (again) for no reason. The kicker? She had 3 (THREE) small children in the back seat....unrestrained!!! I know that's a long story to put on this but it came to mind when I made the observation about texting and the wreck...probably the reason I thought of it. And, have had no internet since Friday so guess I've got all these little things "bubbling" around in my head.
I think the point many of us stress is having a TV not sized for your trailer which can result in situations exactly like this. Its not that you can just pull something, can you control it, is it legal. This could have been a 2500 (I can pull that) towing a TH or worse a tri axle. Its a matter of protecting those in your TV, as well as, others on the road. when I meet these combinations on the road, first thing to come to mind is to get away from this potential accident My two cents, Be Safe
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote