View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Not to get sidetracked with the TV since you've already narrowed down the trailer selection, but that is kinda what we do. There are many variations of the Trailhawk and some can tow no more than 2000 lbs. I am assuming yours has at least the 5.7L V8??

If you have a MAX tow rating of 7200 lbs. the 243bhs comes in at 6500 gvw. Which brings us to the tongue weight of around 800-850 lbs., which brings up the previous question; what is the payload of your vehicle? It will be on the little sticker inside the driver door and is more important than the maximum towing capacity that only applies if properly equipped.

This portion of the conversation happens because there is a lot of experience on here and many of us, me included, have tried towing with a smaller SUV (mid size) like the Grand Cherokee. I've owned 2 (GCs) and rented one for about 10 days in March. They aren't really tow vehicles and I'm sure others here can provide their insight. That really needs to be sorted out before buying the trailer.

As far as selecting the "right" trailer, that is purely a subjective thing. You and your wife know what you like and don't like. The #1 thing is to get the floorplan that will work for you in a trailer that you can tow. After that you need to look at build and quality. The Jayfeather's are light weight and built that way... and it showed in every one I looked at. Lots of Bullet owners on here so hopefully they will chime in. I know nothing about a Shadow Cruiser. You said "discuss"....so it's started Look at that payload on the door.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote