View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I was parked next to a 40' fifth wheel this summer near Las Vegas. He was so very proud of his solar system. His roof was "filled with solar panels, his front storage bay (actually the dead space under the stairs) was filled with twelve (12) 6 volt golf cart batteries... He was bragging about how he can boondock for days and his only limitation is water, never electricity.....

I asked him, "Where do you do most of your boondocking?"

His answer, "Oh I never pull it off paved roads, it's too heavy to pull down most of the trails through the desert."

So, without saying it, it looks like he "built a system that's too big and heavy to use to do what he was trying to accomplish." Not to mention the "fossil fuels he's burning to tow his green system from 50 amp site to 50 amp site"....

Now, if he was going to do most of his camping at WalMart or Cracker Barrel...

My point is: There comes a time when "enough to have bragging rights is too much to be practical"... I'm inclined to think that guy in Las Vegas was somewhere beyond reasonable and well into the ridiculous realm with nearly 1000 pounds of batteries and a roof you can't see as he towed from full hookup site to full hookup site..... I didn't think to ask him how long he can run his air conditioner, my guess, maybe an hour in the desert sun before his batteries are at 50%.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote