View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #63
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
That's one of my fascinations of race cars. What size bearings are normally found on NASCAR or F1 cars? 200+ MPH and heavy loaded under acceleration and braking. I'm familiar with turbines and centrifugal compressors running 14,000+ RPM on plain bearings but don't recall any equipment with ball bearings over 5,000 RPM. A Sundyne gearbox may be the exception. They had an output of 20,000 RPM+.
So what RPM is a NASCAR tire turning at 210MPH??
edit add: If our planned Spring trip happens we will be close to the Richard Childress NASCAR shop. If I can find a couple hours for a tour I'll try to find someone to ask that question of bearing size.
It's easy math really. You would need to know the tire circumference which you can calculate if you have the diameter. The formula is C=P i*D or Circumference = 3.14 X the Diameter. then divide the inch equivalent of one mile by the inches of the circumference. That will give you the revolutions required for that tire to travel one mile. At 210 mph that's traveling at 1 mile in 3.5 seconds.

The bearing would be traveling at the the same rpm vas the tire but being a much small circumference the speed would be increased by the differential of the 2 circumference numbers. At least I think I got that correct. If I didn't someone can correct my math.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote