View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintergal View Post
Our first time out in the Sprinter I turned only the electric hot water heater switch on and waited a while - the water went cold half way through my shower. I turned the gas switch on the next time and had no problems. I think the electric heating takes much longer to heat than the propane method. I will be checking again this weekend and if it occurs again I will mention it to the dealership. You should be able to use the electric method if you are plugged in to electricity, however, I am fine with using propane for it if it works better that way.
Almost all of us turn on the propane when we take showers. The electric element is only about 1100 watts, enough to keep a 6 gallon tank hot enough to wash dishes, etc, but certainly not enough to take a 5 or 6 minute shower at 2.5gal/min. That's 12.5 gallons of hot water (well mixed with cold) from a 6 gallon heater. It ain't gonna happen <sigh>

The newer suburban water heaters advertise "quick recovery" and state they can provide 16 gallons per hour. That's not much when you shut the propane off and reduce that to 6 or 7 gallons.

What you experienced is normal for a 6 gallon HWH on electric. Pretty much, it's also normal for a 10 gallon heater on electric.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote