View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
mavagrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
mavagrand,

If the refrigerator is turned off, the fan should NOT be running. If you are running your refrigerator, the outside temp is above 95*F (or around that) and you unplug the fan for a long period of time, you will decrease the air flow behind the coils (in the exhaust chimney) and you will not only decrease the refrigerator efficiency, you will make it work harder to maintain the freezer and refrigerator setting. That could hasten the failure of the unit by causing the electrical heating element to function longer, the ammonia (or helium) cooling system to function for longer periods of time at higher than normal temperatures and cause increased temperatures behind your refrigerator. Below about 95*F, the fan usually doesn't function because the ambient temperature around the coils is cool enough not to affect the refrigerator efficiency. Above that "magic temperature" you need to have the fan's help to keep the hot air moving.

Turning the refrigerator to OFF will (or should) stop all the functions of the refrigerator and cause the fan to stop "humming".

If your refrigerator has been functioning and you turn it off, don't forget to open the door so it can dry out. Otherwise, you'll have a "fungal mess" the next time you open the door.
Once again, thanks for the info, I did not know I needed to prop the door open, I'll do that. By the way, I did notice the fan runs for a little while after the refer has been turned off. I assume it is for temperature management.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote