View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #13
LewisB

Another potential issue with towing without a slider...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Why a Sliding Hitch.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	24777
Our two most recent rigs included Raptors (2008 a 3712TS and now 2018 a 353TS) which we pulled with an F450 DRW and now an F350 DRW - both of these trucks were/are LONG beds. In both cases, I chose to use a slider hitch - WHY?

On both of our Raptors, the swing UP doors on the front of the trailers would not fully open with the truck connected. So I couldn't access the generator on either trailer (to check the oil, set the altitude, etc.) plus on the 3712TS I could not get to the batteries and on the current 353TS I can't get to the propane tanks. The above picture is with the F450 and 3712TS but is typical.

Was this really important? Looking back, not so much; but it could have been a real problem under the right (wrong?) set of circumstances. So I have just chosen to use a slider to preclude the potential for a future problem. If I park for the night and stay connected, I will always extend the slider (back) so that I have full access to the front compartments on the trailer. If getting into your front compartments under any circumstances while connected is important to you, check to see if this issue is present with your rig. Maybe I'm the only one!

Just something else to consider...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote