View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
RV802

Angry What's that musty smell?

Our 2014 Bullet Premier 19FBPR developed a musty/mildew odor within a year or so. It is particularly pronounced in the slide out area. The smell has permeated the foam dinette cushions to the extent that we replaced all the cushions. With the slide out extended and the windows open, the smell is very noticeable outside the camper.

We have examined the roof, checked under the carpeting in the slide out, and examined every nook and cranny that we can access. We see no leaks or evidence of water having gotten in. Floors under the carpet are in mint condition.

We have all roof maintenance done as recommended by the dealer and manufacturer.

We find that over time we become "nose blind" to the odor when we're camping, but when we get home our clothing and linens smell up the house until we can launder everything.

The dealer has suggested mostly cosmetic (perfume) approaches but has said they'd tear into the unit to find the problem. We're obviously beyond warranty, so we're looking at serious money.

I'm thinking about cutting some access holes into the slide out walls under the dinette benches to see if I find water, mold, wet insulation.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have suggestions? It's disappointing to look forward to an outing and be reminded of the odor as soon as we open the door.

Can I mess things up too badly if I'm careful cutting into the walls on the inside?

Thanks in advance.
RV802 is offline   Reply With Quote