View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Frank, I think you just answered the question of why you don't tow an RV with an inadequate vehicle. The situation you posed could happen to anyone, at any time; poor/maladjusted/unadjusted brakes; umbilical comes unplugged or any of another 100 things. That's why towing with an overloaded vehicle just gets worse and worse as you think about the things that could happen. I'm glad you pointed that out.
Danny, this happened to us on our trip to the southwest last month. We just finished a visit to White Sand NM and were headed west on US 70. My tpms began to alarm as the sensor on the rear passenger trailer tire climbed over 130 degrees.

Stopped our rig on the side of that dark desert hwy and assessed the situation. The electromagnet on the brake assembly was shorting out and causing the pads to to ride the drum. It was too dark, too cold, and unsafe to fix the problem on that stretch of hwy. We had no cell signal either. Decided to unplug the 7 way pigtail and slowly drive 15 more miles into Las cruces where we found a safe gas station to pull the wheel. Got the melted magnet and fragments of pads and hardware out of the drum and was able to drive to Tucson with the other 3 trailer brakes in operation.

We were very glad to have a 3/4 ton truck to move our brakeless trailer to a safe location for a temporary fix. A 1/2 ton may have stranded us through the night.

Called the trailer and axle service center that did all suspension upgrades last year and had a reimbursement check waiting for us when we returned home.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote