View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 01:50 PM   #10
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A running truck connected to the trailer AND shore power providing a charge voltage via the converter/charger is not something that I'd do on a regular basis.

That said, it's also not something that would cause me to run as far as possible, dive in a ditch and cover my head to wait for the explosion....

It's not a "immediate damage will result" situation, and likely won't damage anything, but just like it's better to turn off water to a garden hose to stop the flow rather than fold the hose over on itself to stop the flow, doing it the "proper way" will keep your garden hose "round and not leaking at the fold" for a lot longer, and IMO, using or connecting one charging source at a time just seems like a better way to protect equipment...

As a sidenote, if the WFCO converter/charger "senses a charging voltage from the truck charging system" (usually 13.4 - 13.6 VDC, the converter/charger will reduce/stop the charging process and will revert to the "float mode" which is 13.2 VDC, so with the truck connected, your converter/charger will "essentially shut itself down"....
Thank you John for addressing both questions.
As soon as I read about the possibility of there being fuses and relays in the glove compartment, I couldn’t run to the truck fast enough to look, and guess what, there was a relay and a 30 amp fuse. I verified positions with the manual and you were 100% correct on position 9 and 21. Guess what, all systems are a go. Charging at 13 volts!!!

The contributors to this forum are nothing short of amazing.
Thanks to all who chimed in for a swift resolution.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote