View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 07:48 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
The post, as worded, made a very strong implication that all but a few "guests" were/are crooks.

"All of those guests are "not members". A few are people who just haven't yet joined the forum but are looking at posts. A few are "bots" from Google, FaceBook, Twitter and a few marketing firms.

A few, as defined by the Google Language Dictionary, means:
1. a small number
2. used to emphasize how small a number is

So, of the 689 "guests" mentioned in the post, most (virtually all - by implication) were/are crooks, according to the post. Or do you think "a few" means 60%? 80%? 95%?

You are correct, many (most?) do not realize the assault forums such as this take from spammers.

I do. I was the administrator for my Carpenters Union (my local chapters) web page and forum. In fact I designed them (the web page and the forum), implemented them and administered them for over seven years before I retired. It was a lot of work sifting thru the posts and culling out the fake ones and the fake registration requests. Still - I take exception to the idea that only "a few" guests are legitimate and almost everyone else are crooks. It is simply not true (in my experience) and is disingenuous.

I don't want to get into a back and forth with you but your comments are still inaccurate and in fact offensive. I have no idea what you did or didn't do or know in your capenter's union (and don't care) but I do know it had/has nothing to do with this website.

As long as we're playing with the dictionary;

In fact, the warning of the possibility of a person with nefarious intentions is in fact warranted and they are there. A "few", "small number" could mean anything and you cannot quantify that, only question and nitpick for some unknown reason. More importantly;

You say the post was "disingenuous". Let's look at that:

From Merriam Webster: : "lacking in candor
also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness : CALCULATING" (their capitalization).

From Encyclopedia Britannica: " not truly honest or sincere giving the false appearance of being honest or sincere."

From Macmillan Dictionary: "pretending to be honest or sincere."

I could go on but I hope you get the picture. Why you made the accusation over a simple, honest headsup only you know. The post was made with good intentions and I suspect virtually all of the members took it that way but you. Enjoy your Sunday and keep that dictionary close at hand.