View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

x2 on what Ken/Claudia said.

I don't have any experience with the trailer but your question about the 1/2 ton towing is very relevant. The trailer has a GVW of 8500 lbs BUT the tongue weight dry is 860 lbs. That will push 1000 lbs when loaded. Depending on what 1/2 ton you have you will be at or over your payload by the time you load everything you want when going camping. Look at the payload/carrying capacity listed on the sticker inside your vehicle door and you will have a better understanding of what the truck is capable of. Don't forget that after you have the 1000 lbs + for the tongue weight you need to add another 100lbs or so for the WD hitch, then cargo, then people etc.

The trailer is right at 35' long and towing it with an overloaded 1/2 ton isn't a good thing; nor is it really fun. I did it with a trailer 2' longer and 200 lbs heavier on the tongue. Seemed OK but I knew it was overloaded and I couldn't justify endangering my family or anyone else so bought a new 3/4 ton after the first trip. What "seemed OK" turned out to be not so OK after hitching it to the 3/4 ton and feeling the difference.

Just do your homework and remember that towing at or over the limit can be not only tedious and worrisome but dangerous to you, your family and others on the road.

By the way; Welcome to the forum!! Not trying to rain on your parade; just trying to provide some food for thought.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote