View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
If you are pulling A LOT of propane out of a tank at low temperatures the tanks will freeze up, along with the regulator. We were doing a torch down roofing project a couple of years ago and had the same issue on our 100# tanks. (torches are around 50,000 btu's) Bought several barrel heaters to keep the tanks from freezing up. Couldn't find any documentation against doing it... Beat the alternative of the guys heating the tanks with torches.

Aaron
Yup, 25 yrs as a construction owner I'll agree that a regulator will freeze up when we're blasting that LP through torches or drywall heaters, I've had this happen many times!
The big difference is that on the site we would go through a few 100 lb bottles a day and the LP at a high rate would make it freeze, I've even had this happen in the summer.
As for an RV I'm going to say that it's pretty hard to freeze up the regulator if it's clean, it takes a very little amount of moisture that can accumulate over non use over the summer to make the winter use a pain!
There's lots of stats online about all of the freezing effects and how people think their tanks are empty but they're not but it all comes down to weighing them before you refill them.
I read most of the stats last winter and if they're correct at the cold digits I'm in my tank should by 1/4 full but I took it in today, had it weighed and it was dead empty! Guess I did a few changes during the summer to make things right for the winter