View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Lots of good points here. In my first TT back in the mid 80's I was living out of it when winter set in. We had a cold streak come in and it got down to 0F at one time. I had wrapped the water hose with a heat tape and insulation. I let the heater run at night time with a supplemental heater. During the day I just let it run enough to keep the RV liveable when I got in. Drained the tanks when required and closed them back off. Don't know if I was lucky or not but had no problems (once I installed the heater tape/insulation on the water hose) with the EXCEPTION of waking up one night freezing to death. The heater had stopped and I finally found that my propane tank had frozen! Had never heard of it. I ended up with heater tapes on both of them to keep that from happening. I don't know if it was just a strange happening or what, and putting a heater tape on a propane tank seemed probably dangerous,but it did let me get through the cold weather and the accompanying foot of snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I'm getting - digits here now and all my hoses are insulated and no freezing yet. I leave my FW tank half full in case of a power outage and I'm not too worried about it freezing as it wont crack the tank as it's not full.
As for your propane it shouldn't freeze, if anything your regulator will freeze up it there's any water or small amounts of oil in it. Just pour some warm/hot water over the regulator and bingo it'll work again!
If you have to do this on a constant bases then you know that your regulator is hooped!

If you are pulling A LOT of propane out of a tank at low temperatures the tanks will freeze up, along with the regulator. We were doing a torch down roofing project a couple of years ago and had the same issue on our 100# tanks. (torches are around 50,000 btu's) Bought several barrel heaters to keep the tanks from freezing up. Couldn't find any documentation against doing it... Beat the alternative of the guys heating the tanks with torches.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote