View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #20
Javi

This is the reason I've pretty much stopped trying to answer most questions on this and other forums. In fact I've dropped several completely.

No one was attacking the OP, but it seems that nowadays when someone asks a question on an internet forum all they're really wanting is confirmation that they made the right choice. And if anyone disagrees with their assessment, then they're being attacked.

Well, I've actually pulled a 2890RL with an '11 F150 and I've spent several thousand dollars trying to get the combination to work as it should. I put 10 ply tires, shocks, high dollar hitches and tried many adjustments. Some helped and some didn't but in the end, once the trailer was loaded with our personal camping gear, bedding, personal clothing, cooking utensils, food, drinks, chocks, levelers, jacks, camp table and a couple of folding chairs the trailer was driving the pickup.

It was by no means a white knuckle experience and the motor had more than sufficient power to pull the trailer, the brakes were also more than adequate. However, I never got rid of the feeling that the trailer was in control, there was no sway to speak of, just the feeling of very little control and a shimmying or waggle of the truck. If forced to I could have driven this combination nearly anywhere across this country, but fortunately I'm not forced to...

As I said, I've pulled heavy work trailers, nurse tanks, single and double peanut wagons, 30 foot pontoon boats, driven 18 wheelers with tanker trailers. flatbeds, and goosenecks hauling everything from horses and cattle to 5th wheel travel trailers and bumper pull TT and I've never felt that I wasn't in control until I tried that little 1/2 ton and my 2890RL.

My solution was to trade in the car with a bed for a 3/4 ton long-bed.. Funny thing is.. stock, right off the lot, no additional tires, shocks, airbags, fancy high dollar hitches.... nothing... not even weight bars; this truck will pull that trailer at 65 mph uphill, or downhill all day long without shimmy, without waggle, without sway, and the truck is pulling the trailer not being pushed by the trailer..

So.... there you have it.... No attack, just cold hard first hand experience from someone with over a million miles in front of a trailer of one kind or another over the past 51 years since I first got my driver's license as a farm boy of 14.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote