View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Festus2,

I think that for many "young buyers" (me included back when....) and for some "older buyers on a budget" trying to compromise a "cheap to operate every day driver" with a "dream come true" (oversized) RV, it's easy to fall into the trap of: Well, it's at the upper limit, but I'll be OK (if I just watch what I load).... Once we "white knuckle" the trailer for that first trip home, we rationalize by thinking, "Well, that's the way all "big trailers" behave, so I'll be OK.

The desire to get into camping coupled with the "I can't leave anything at home" concept of "gotta have a monster RV to be comfortable" leads many first time buyers down the road all RV salesmen travel... "BIGGER IS BETTER"... (translated, I make a bigger commission the bigger I sell)... Along comes the "promise" or "speculation" that "Your truck can tow anything on our lot"....

You're so right when you say that the "novice RV'er" comes here looking for advice, often doesn't like what he hears, so goes back to his "buddy", the "salesman" and his emotions, all of which are saying, "buy it, buy it, buy it, you'll be OK" and with the need for "instant gratification" they jump at the opportunity to get a big trailer for a compromised tow vehicle. Once "stuck" in that situation, all they can do is make the best of a bad situation, buy a fancier hitch, air bags, new brake shoes, leave the garage empty on their new toy hauler, or have to tow empty because they are overloaded.... But what the heck, at least we're RVing !!!!!

Sometimes I cringe at the "chest beaters" on forums who say, "I'm doing it, you'll be just fine" when in fact, they are novices themselves with only a couple of weeks or months of experience with one tow vehicle and one RV that they've towed, and then, only a few miles home and partly loaded to their first and only "camping trip"..... It's scary that "new comers" will accept the advice of this kind of "forum expert" thinking that it comes from a seasoned, veteran RV'er who has the experience of having towed more than one RV for a couple hundred miles.

Javi,

Just like you, I've towed for long enough to realize that I don't have all the answers, haven't had every experience and yes, I "fell for" the half ton towable "HYPE" just like you did.

I bought the Springdale, it was "OK" (at best) but I convinced myself that as long as I bought all the lightweight plastic blocks, chocks, only packed minimal tools, bought firewood at the camp rather than bring my own from home, didn't take the generator (unless I towed without fresh water) and various other "work arounds," I could "make it work"......

It wasn't until I actually had that Springdale behind an "ADEQUATE" truck that I realized how much I'd been fighting my F150 trying to make do.....

So yes, before you "bored him with too much info" I laid it all out there.....

So, to summarize: I'm not putting down half ton trucks, they are great vehicles for their intended purpose, but "HEAVY DUTY TOWING" is not one of those intended purposes.....

I'm "out on a limb" posting and discussing this kind of topic. I'm sure a lot of toes are feeling some pressure as I step lightly around the posts, but it's time to admit that if we don't say it, RVing will get more and more into the "lightweight tow vehicle/heavy-weight trailer"..... Sooner or later, states are going to start protecting the public from "those who are pushing the limit past being safe, and when that happens, I think we are all going to see rules and regulations enacted that "restrict" RV use and are aimed at those who push the limit past being safe and prudent. Unfortunately, those restrictions are going to make RVing more difficult for all of us. We all need to understand that as the roads become more and more crowded, we no longer are just "responsible for ourselves" but must also consider the safety of those who are on the roads with us as we tow our RV's. Our obligation to safe towing extends not only to our own rig, but also to the people we share the roads with as we tow.

It's the "new guy on the forum" who is seeking advice about being safe, the one that's trying to verify what his salesman is telling him. He deserves to know what we've experienced and learned (sometimes the hard way). They come here looking for answers, trying to do it the "right way the first time". Unfortunately, sometimes what they get is "another salesman's perspective" rather than the "sage advice" they deserve.

It seems that sometimes members post what looks more like an "invitation to join my misery" rather than advice on towing heavy duty trailers with light duty vehicles.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote