Thread: Lurking...
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I do not own a FR product nor a Cougar 1/2 ton. I have owned a Cougar High Country and I have to say that the fit finish and just overall "trailer" were much nicer than any FR product anywhere close to that price range. The neighbor sitting next to us has a Cougar 1/2 ton and he says he really likes it.

Prior to buying my previous Cougar I looked long and hard at FR products but in the end there were just too many visible quality issues that I had to pass. Another thing, and it's this way to this day I suppose (at least when I walked through some nice 5th wheels last fall).....just look at stuff and ask yourself "why did they do that", "how am I ever going to use that"? Particularly 5th wheels and cabinets stuck to the ceiling???

I am not anti FR but....when little brother asked about RV recommendations I advised Keystone and gave my thoughts on the FR line. He went and purchased a FR 5th wheel because the dealer was close. Bought a new King Ranch diesel to pull it. Made one trip to meet me in FL. Kept it almost a year then called me one day and said he got mad and just sold the trailer and truck because the trailer had lived in the shop for 8 of the months he owned it - he was done with RVing. As a follow up; that was about 2 1/2 years ago. He keeps track of us as we travel around in our RV and last weekend he called asking how things were going. We visited and I told him all the fun we had. He said he was going to get another RV because it was a lot of fun but just didn't want the headaches. I asked "are you going to get another FR"? I won't print his exact response as it wouldn't be nice; suffice it to say he's going to look at Keystone.

This is not to bash FR. I am sure they make some good products and some folks love them. I'm just relaying my personal experiences with them AND don't want you to get something that makes you throw up your hands and get out of RVing....although that can happen with any brand and has with some buyers of Keystone products so it's really kind of a crap shoot.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote