View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
AlbertaRvMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
When tightening the plug it is best done by screwing it in by hand until tight then using a deep socket, tighten it hand tight before using the ratchet to make a 1/2 turn past hand tight. And yes it will still easily turn more, but DON'T... SNUG is your friend.... it is plastic

These plugs are designed to be replaced at least once a year. I always keep several spares with me. I also keep the tools to remove them should they break, including a pipe tap to chase the threads should they need it. You'd be surprised at the number of times I've had to help someone fix their leaking plug, and the look on their face when I tell them they're supposed to replace it regularly.
Hi Javi,

I am a newbie and I fear I may have over tightened my plastic plug. I used a 15/16 socket.

I had applied Teflon tape and was only able to tighten a single thread by hand, I figured that was not enough and tightened it a lot more, to the point the hex shape started to round. Now I am fearful I will not be able to get this plug out (how will I get it out?) have I damaged the tank?

I am trying to order spares but amazon.ca does not show any (I am in canada).

Another side question, do you know the low point drain cap size? I want to get some spares for those as well.

Thank you.