View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=Sicapo;126267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
"Atwood heaters are aluminum and use a plastic plug, do NOT us a steel or brass plug. "

And what would be the concequences of doing that?
(cause I think that´s what I did...)

Sicapo -
As has already been mentioned using a steel or brass plug will result in electrolysis between the aluminum tank and the plug. This reaction will usually take place when you have two dissimilar metals in a liquid solution such as water. Over time, the plug will become "fused" to the tank and you won't be able to remove it.
Another possible reaction is that if you cross thread the tank plug opening with a harder metal than the aluminum, then you might have to replace the tank entirely - according to the Atwood hot water heater website.
It seems that there is a product which is supposed to act as a seal between a metal plug and an aluminum tank thus preventing any reaction between the two different metals to take place. The product is Devcon Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant. I have no idea whether this thread sealant works as advertised.
If I were you, I would remove the metal plug that you have in your Atwood heater and replace it with a nylon one and follow the directions given by Javi about how to insert and tighten it properly.